Panel Rocker Switch Wiring

I have a 1970 Jaguar E-Type Series II 4.2 2+2 Automatic Vin # 1R42907BW. The panel rocker switch was acting up. I took it apart and cleaned it to no avail. I looked every where for a replacement and could not the exact one. I was advised to buy a heater fan rocker switch because it had a high and low function. The panel switch wiring is to terminals at each end Red/Black left terminal Red/White right front as you are looking at the switch and Red/Blue right and Red left at the fire wall end with the door down. The new switch terminals are located in different places and are marked 1 and directly below 3 in the front and 4 left and 5 below right 5 at the fire wall end with the door down.

Does any one know how to correctly wire this switch so the panel light can either be high or low when switched on?

IMG_02502

Are you sure its the switch that regulates the heater function? I ask because on my ‘S’ type the switch has a high/low function but it directs the power either to the fan motor direct or via a large resistor mounted on the heater box.

Stephan,

Look on the side of the switch. What is the number embossed? That will identify which switch we’re dealing with. I have pin-outs for most of the switches but need the number for correct data.

Happy Motor (to come)

Dick

“Don’t let the Old Man In”

I purchased the rocker switch from SNG Barratt but they cannot tell me how to hook the wires up to the different terminals. You are correct heater wiring does go to resistor. The panel light also has a resistor so I am told.

Yes, there is a resistor for the dim function on the panel light - it is in the right end of this photo, cleverly labelled ‘PANEL’:

Sometimes all you can do it take your ohmmeter and ring out the switch settings to see what continuity occurs in each switch position, then connect accrodingly.

I saved this from a web site sometime ago. Will this help you?

Excellent! This is great for existing rocker switch wiring but how to do I connect the wires up to the all black switch in my diagram. The location of the terminals and their numbering is what I am confused by.

Stephan J. Dix

Management Adviser and Leadership Coach

Telephone: 202-265-1531

Dick,

The number on the old white based rocker panel switch is 3226B 3869. I know how that is wired but I do not know how to wire the black replacement rocker switch because the terminals are located in different places and are marked 1 and directly below it 3 in the front of the switch and 4 left and 5 below it on the right at the fire wall end of the panel with door when opened. How to connect the panel light wires to the new black switch is what I need assistance with.

Stephan,

If you can’t provide the identification number of the switch s requested by @Dick_Wells, I suggest you do what @Ahwahnee already suggested. That is, do a continuity check on the new switch: in each switch position identify which terminals are connected to each other, and then connect accordingly. For the original Panel Switch (Lucas 39226), in the OFF position terminals 3 and 4 are connected. In the DIM position, terminals 2,3 and 4 are connected, and in the BRIGHT position all 4 terminals are connected. The Red wire (power in from fuse#5) is connected to the #3 terminal, the Red/Blue wire (Legend strip) is connected to the #4 terminal, the Red/Brown wire (DIM) is connected to the #2 Terminal, the Red/White wire (BRIGHT) is connected to the #1 Terminal. If your new switch does not match the connection pattern of the old, we can probably recommend how to connect it to make it work, but you need to test it to determine what terminals are connected in each position.

I suspect that should be 39226B (the “3869” is probably a manufacturing date code). Does your new switch have a number identification on the switch itself, or the packaging you received it in from SNG Barratt? If not, you will have to do the continuity test I mentioned in my previous post.

I am in the midst of changing out the rocker switches on my 68DHC and have the same switch as Stephan. Your information is really helpful!
I performed a continuity test on the new style switch. In the off position the poles labeled 3 and 4 are connected. In dim 3, 4 and 5 are connected. In on 1,3,4 and 5 are connected.
So Red goes on 5. Red/Brown on 4. Red/Blue on 3. Red/White on 1
Thanks!!

If you want the switch to behave as designed, and the “new” switch works as you say, then you want Red (power from fuse #5) connected to 4, Red/Blue (Legend strip) on 3, Red/Brown (DIM) on 5, and Red/White on 1. That way, the legend strip is ON in all switch positions as it should be.

Oops, you are correct.

Thank you one and all. Most helpful.