Parts for MK 2 sliding Sunroof

I am looking for a complete sliding sunroof for a 1962 Jaguar Mark 2 to restore our current sunroof.

Sunroof is factory original by Golde.

Kim R

Goode didn’t make the original sunroof.

Tim,
Well who did!
Kim.

There is a lot of useful information in this link.

To be honest if you need parts for the factory roof I suspect you’re going to have to make them.

If you need help with photos measurements etc let us know.

Cheers

Golde manufactured Golde sunroofs. Glolde was a German sunroof manufacturer that supplied original equipment sunroofs to Porsche, BMW and Ford (Thunderbird) for factory installation. They also manufactured sunroofs for aftermarket installation across numerous vehicles. Golde eventually became American Sunroof Corporation (ASC).

The jaguar installation falls into the aftermarket category as evidenced by the following period advertisement. Golde states that Jaguar “fully approved” the installation of Golde sunroofs in Jaguar cars in period.

Visually, some parts on our MK2 Golde sunroof appear to be common with those that I’ve seen in early Porsche 356/911/912 and BMW 2002 installations. The aluminum cable/slide castings appear to be common but their lengths differ from those in the MK2. Cable lengths will also differ but the general design, cable/slide mechanisms, etc., appear to be common. the fuzzy perimeter seals and rear roof panel seal are common (I purchased a set of seals intended for a BMW 2002 from the BMW dealership, cut them to length and they fit our MK2 application perfectly.

I have seen ‘new’ cable/slide mechanism assemblies listed for sale on the web but haven’t made note of the source/s.

Are there particular parts that you are looking for?

Andrew,
Appreciate any and all info, plus pictures.
Kim.

The bodies were made originally by Pressed Steel Company.

Golde might have offered a sunroof as an aftermarket option but they did so without the additional strengthening supplied by Pressed Steel essential for rigidity.

Here is an extract from Nigel Thorley’s Book, “Original Jaguar MKI & MKII”.

This is a Golde roof.

This is the original Jaguar version as made by Pressed Steel.

My comment regarding the jaguar sunroof being an aftermarket installation was in reference to the Golde system, not the optional ‘factory’ sunroof listed in the Jaguar Spare Parts Catalog. My intent was not to imply that the factory sunroof was an aftermarket installation.

With respect to strengthening the roof, the Golde design is quite ingenious…The entire system resides within a rigid, self-contained structural frame and stamped steel pocked (which the panel slides into). The system is affixed to the inner roof side rails via stamped arms located at the front (2), rear (2) and sides (2 on each side). These arms are approximately six inches in width and make the central sunroof system a member of the roof sub-structure. Additionally, the exterior class-A roof panel is flanged down 90 degrees to meet the perimeter of the sunroof frame opening. The class-A roof panel was then spot welded to the Golde structural frame flange along the front and sides of the opening. All torsional and bending loads and modes that transfer from the A, B and C pillars pass through the central structural frame of the Golde system.

Structural considerations were taken into account by Golde’s engineers. Their creative design provided generous installation flexibility and enabled their system to become a structural member of the OEM’s product. This patented design enabled Golde to address a very broad number of vehicle applications with nominal installation variations…Critical for enabling profitable sales and manufacturing volume.

For what it’s worth, Golde’s advertising claimed that Jaguar ‘fully approved’ the installation of Golde sunroofs in their products (see above). Either this was true and Jaguar considered Golde’s patented design and its potential impact upon its products or Golde ostensibly failed truth in advertising practices. Regardless, we thoroughly enjoy our Golde equipped MK2. It functions flawlessly, doesn’t leak and transforms an already enjoyable driving experience to a higher level.

Brian;

Thank you very much for the info. Previous owner made a mess of the original sunroof sliding system in the car. I am having trouble finding any replacement parts, such as the chain system, and also the handle to close it up. I have almost given up but would like to have the finished as yours. Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Kim

Hello Kim,

Our Golde sunroof is opened/closed via an electric motor that pulls/pushes cables that look very similar to what drives your windscreen wipers (albeit a bit smaller in diameter). the rocker switch is visible in the photo that I posted above. Our roof does not have a handle. Are you able to post some photos of your roof and/or parts that came with the car. I found the following image of a Golde sunroof fitted to a MK2 on the web a number of years ago. This car has a hand crank handle rather than an electric motor. Perhaps this is the version that you have?

Regards,

Brian

[quote=“Sportscarguy, post:1, topic:424408, full:true”]
I am looking for a complete sliding sunroof for a 1962 Jaguar Mark 2 to restore our current sunroof.

Sunroof is factory original by Golde.

Kim R

Brian;
Have the email mixed a little. Need chain, handle, seals, and all that goes with the mechanism. The sunroof slides back and forth freely at present. Thanks for your previous post. It has been a big help.

Kim R.

I think you’re going to have to make them.

Andrew,
I think you are right. Have advertised the car for sale on Jag lovers Classified and will see it someone else can finish it.
Kim.

Hello Kim,

I just ran a quick “Golde Sunroof” search on eBay in the US and several parts were returned. I located new cable assemblies for a BMW 2002 and used hand cranks.

The overall design between between the Jaguar application and those that I’ve seen in Porsches and BMWs appear to the the same. What differs are the proportions of the parts…For example, the rails and covers that enclose the cables appear to the identical from a depth and width perspective but differ in length. The cables appear to the identical too but their length differs based on the size/proportion of the roof panel/opening. The cable crank/drive gear will be the same as the cable diameter and coil pitch appears to be the same across models. Crank handles should be common across all models as well. The fuzzy seals and rear panel seal should still be available from BMW…It will take some hunting, but you may be able to locate many of the parts that you need.

Manufacturing tracks, cable troughs and covers would be very difficult. These parts were originally cast and are fairly intricate. Metallurgy is important as the cable movement within the troughs will wear the alloy casings. Dimensional integrity is also important as the cables want to work away from the drive gear when turned because of the cable pitch angle. Golde inserted a hardened stamped steel C-channels above and beneath the drive gear to shield the alloy trough and cover from wear and to keep the cable firmly engaged with the drive gear.

I recommend setting up searches on eBay so that you’re fed updates every morning.

Brian,
Really appreciate all you have sent . Have someone working on it for me, but still need some parts .
Hate to give up on it.
Would like pics of the workings. Hopefully BMW and VW use the same parts of the time.

Kim.

An owner of a BMW 2002 tii documented his restoration of a Golde sunroof installation here

https://www.my2002tii.com/spring_2005/sunroof.htm

The alloy casings that house the cables and support the sliders appear to be a bit wider than what’s installed in our MK2 but the mechanical design is principally the same. These photos may help you with the hunt for missing parts.

Regards,

Brian

Thank you Brian,
Very nice , that,s a big help.

Kim.

Hi

I have just picked up this thread as having been investigating a sliding factory steel sunroof fitted to my 1973 Jensen Interceptor
In the restoration of my car in 2016, i had to remove the sunroof completely and replace a section of the roof as i was unable to identify the steel sunroof installed
In cleaning all the parts, including the section of roof, i have come across the Golde name
I believe that this roof may also have been installed into the early XJ6 models
I would welcome any other information on this topic

Regards

Jim Smith Jensen Owners Club Member

Golde manufactured sunroofs for a number of automobiles. The following brochure image provides a list of some of the cars that they supported. Jensen is listed in this brochure but the 541 and C-V8 that are referenced precede the introduction of the Interceptor.

Like any manufacturer, common parts were used across many applications to simplify production and reduce cost. If you need parts, looking for BMW and Porsche applications may be helpful. I believe that Golde was the factory sunroof installation in 356’s, early 911’s and 2002’s. I purchased seals for our MK2 application from the a BMW dealer :+1: