Passenger airbag removal

With the dreaded “SRS”/“airbag” fault coming on about 5 seconds after starting the engine, I am trying to follow the excellent article on troubleshooting a LHD 95 XJ6 airbag system. I am at the step where the passenger airbag connector is to be unplugged and a 2.5 ohm resistor plugged into the car harnesses connector. The problem is I can’t find the passenger air bag connector. I thought I might just remove the airbag instead, but can’t get the airbag wooden cover off. I’m afraid I might break the old and fragile cover. The glove box is removed as is the air duct below. My questions are:

1. What is the best way to remove the cover?
  2. Is the passenger airbag connector identical to the steering wheel airbag connector?
  3. Can I remove the passenger airbag and wooden cover as a single unit?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

I had the same problem on my 95 XJ6 VP with the light coming on after startup. The problem was the blue airbag module which is located to the upper right of the passenger airbag and is almost hidden behind wires, metal casing, etc. Just look for a blue box about 4×4 inches. It is a Ford part (clearly written on it). It is also difficult to unplug the wires but doable. The wooden cover is NOT attached to the airbag. The airbag itself (if memory is right) is held on with 4 screws (2 at top;2 at bottom). The plug for it is to the left behind alot of wires. Just follow the wires to the plug which is yellow. The airbag has to come out to get to the air bag module. As best I remember, the removal of the wooden panel is self-explained once you remove the glovebox. It is just the removal of maybe 2 screws on both sides of the panel. Sorry, I cannot be exact with the step by step instructions. It’s been several years since I did mine. Also, be sure to disconnect the battery before removing the airbag!

Richard

Richard, with your input I searched farther and found the airbag connector. I also removed airbag, cover and mounts to better reach, test and remove the airbag ECU. I was confused by the pin numbering in the troubleshooting diagram because of the orientation of the ECU mount. Then I realized that the diagram shows the relative positions of the ECU mount to its connectors for a RHD card. My LHD (US) car has the mount on the opposite side of the ECU. Could prove no faults with the wiring or any components, so I ordered a new(used) ECU. I am still confused because many of the threads about this problem say to check connectors under the front seats. Looking at the diagram, I can see no connections for wires heading to or from the seats. Thanks, again. Will keep the forum posted on progress.

Before doing anything further be sure to review carefully my attachment: “Airbag Diagnostics For Dummies”. It is an EXCELLENT comprehensive summary of the system.

IX300 Air Bag Diagnostics for Dummies-1.pdf (820.2 KB)

Richard

That’s the document I’ve been using for my troubleshooting. It’s given me a logical path to follow and a good explanation that has been a great aid in understanding how the system operates. For creating “Air Bag Diagnostics for Dummies”, thank you Brendan McPhillips, where ever you are.

1 Like