Payen headgasket and engine block cuts

I received today my Payen gasket set, that suff is not given.

The old gasket had small 2mm high metal tranversal bars matching the cuts between the cylinders in the block. The new gasket doesn’t have them, it’s flat .

I wonder if that’s ok or do I have the wrong gasket…
I recall reading in the form that the cuts in the cylinder block had some effect on something .

Any ,thoughts ? After opening the package I can’t return it and it’s over 250💲so I’ve better be sure .

Many thanks

Rui

The metal rings around the bores contain the cylinder pressure, Rui - the rest of the gasket seals against water and oil.

The slot between the bores is stress relief and the seal should hold only against oil/coolant pressure if it seals properly - without the metal transverse bars…

So you do not have the OEM gasket, but I don’t know the importance. Add suitable crossbars…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank,

No way I would add anything to the gasket on my own, I asked the supplier Limora (SC) to ask Payen, let´s see what they come up with.

Those transversal elements are there clearly to seal the top of the slices in the block, and minimize the risk of coolant leakage to the cylinder, seen the very tiny distance between cylinder walls and the slices in the engine block. The little bars have a V shape.

I also note now that the bar between cylinder 1 and 2 is ´twisted´, which could explain a possible presence of coolant in cylinder 2 and, in my opinion, the slight bending of the valve due to hydrostatic pressure when firing the engine up after a a few months hibernation. Well, at least that would be what Poirot would say :slight_smile:

UPDATE I just received a mail from the seller saying that the Payen gasket has an improved´design and that it can be used without any problem, that the OM is not anylonger available.

Up, between cylinder 1 and 2

Down, between cylinder 3 and 4, as it should be

That metal bar is just crud and bent metal.

And if you remove your (quite expensive??) new gasket in a year or two it will look similar. Actually, starting today after torquing down thus compressing the gasket.

Definitely not David, those tiny bars are there in addition to the ´normal flat´ gasket, not the result of any compression.
They have a V-shape and open in the middle, exactly for sealing purposes. Zoom it in and you will see it.

update you probably mean that a small ´V´ will be be formed in the new gasket after compressing. I see what you mean, then the new gasket is possibly more ´flexible´than the original

Rui

Fair enough, Rui - if it otherwise lines up…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

The metal will be squeezed out into the groove, then silica and lime and rust will collect onto the surface and in the end you have a convincing, V shaped mound with a kink in the middle. And a flatter stiffer gasket after it’s been compressed and heat cycled enormously.
The new one will definitely work too.

1 Like