PCV Modification

I’ve read this in Kirby’s book, but don’t quite understand. Plug what hole? Anybody do this? And can provide photos?
I’d like to add this to my to do list for my 1988 V12. I am a big believer of a good PCV system for long engine life.

From Kirby’s Book, Page 52: “It would be easy enough to make this system work like a typical PCV system: remove the PCV valve from the chamber on the LH air filter housing and plug that hole, leaving the crankcase vent connected to the air filter housing via the chamber. Install the PCV valve into the crankcase itself. That way, the PCV valve will draw air from the LH air filter housing into the crankcase through the metal mesh, through the crankcase, and through the PCV valve into the intake
manifold. Of course, there’s no hole to connect the PCV valve to! You’ll have to make one. As far away from the existing vent as possible is good, but not essential. You want to avoid any place where there’s a lot of oil splatter that the PCV might suck up, but most engines put it right in the valve cover so installing it in the RH cam cover should work just as well. If you’re good, you can drill a hole in the cam cover that’s the same size as the hole in the chamber where the PCV valve was originally installed so you can install the same valve in the same grommet.”

The PCV valve is connected to metal tubing, illustrated in the photo I posted. Disconnect the tubing from both intake manifolds and withdraw tubing and PCV valve. The hole Kirby refers to is where your PCV valve was a moment ago.5/8, maybe. Plug it!
The crankcase is still connected to the “B” bank airbox, but now you have to drill a new place for the PCV Valve, and reconnect the metal line plumbing. Then follow K’s suggestions!

On the engine side of the B bank air filter housing near the front, there’s a little manifold with 3 openings. One faces forward and connects to the breather on the front of the B bank. One faces left and opens into the air filter housing itself on the engine side of the filter. And one faces right and has the PCV valve pressed into it. Step 1 of this mod is to remove that PCV valve and plug that opening only, leaving the breather still connected to the air filter housing.

Step 2 is to locate the PCV valve somewhere else, preferably as far away from that breather as possible. Rear end of A bank is as far away as possible. And the tubing that the PCV valve connects to suggests a possibility of simply disconnecting the tubing from the manifolds, swapping it around 180 degrees, and connecting it back up. To complete the mod you have to drill a hole through your A bank cam cover and install your PCV valve in it. Typically PCV valves are installed by simply pressing them into a grommet, so it shouldn’t be difficult. You do need to look under that cam cover first to make sure to locate the PCV valve where it can be installed without bumping into anything.

Oh, one other thing: On typical PCV valve installations, there’s usually a deflector or shield in place inside the engine to make sure oil doesn’t get splashed directly into the valve. You could make something out of sheet metal and attach it to the inside of the cam cover with a couple of screws.

Note that the Jaguar PCV valve looks exactly like some other Fram PCV valves but reportedly doesn’t work the same. Use of the generic Ford PCV valve reportedly changes the idle speed. A couple of users have reported issues that didn’t clear up until they went back to the genuine Jaguar part. Whether or not relocating the PCV valve makes any difference to that issue, I dunno.