Penny Pincher Lyons

My '52 Ford was a 2 door “Mainline” (the cheapest trim). It had one of, if not the, first overhead valve inline 6’s Ford offered. The odd thing was a notice in the glove box:
This car does not meet Ford Motor standards for chrome trim. The military action in Korea has restricted the use of materials in manufacture of civilian goods (not an exact quote, but the essence).
No one wants one of those arguments about whose car was better, etc. but… most every part on that '52 was better suited to the tough life of a car in the center of a cold and harsh continental climate and rough handling by the inhabitants of that continent.

Larry
Your right on my 54 Mercury Monterey sport coupe on the inside glove box
It states due to the Korean War efforts some chrome will
Be replaced with pot metal parts!

Damn, Joey, what car don’t you have? Or you really Jay Leno?:thinking::joy::joy:

Shhhhh he has a bigger chin.
Im a car guy, I dont belong to golf country clubs, time shares in bermuda, just a car guy.
gtjoey1314

1 Like

Definitely agree that the Honda Accord is less work - I own 2 recent ones (daughter drives one) because they are low maintenance and could still get with a manual tranny. But of course the looks are almost invisible to others which is fine most of the time.

My XKE will never make me “look good” as nature is running its course on my body. Ironically, my XKE just a few years older is getting better than 20 years ago, well, thanks to the money and time I’m pouring into it but worth every penny.

Now, if you want something exotic that gets the looks and is low maintenance, you might consider a Lotus Elise. I also have a 2006 and it is a blast to drive - brutal, pure driving experience car which is one of the reasons I got it. But, it runs a Toyota 4 cylinder and is generally accepted as very reliable which is highly unusual in a car that looks that good and is as fun to drive. If looking to expand the stable, a potential option.

True dat!

As for heaters, Anerucan cars, ever since the late 40s, would generally blow you out, even in the coldest of climes.

If you could get them to start…:grimacing:

More than you might expect: the list is nearly endless, the number of ill-conceived and badly-designed production areas of many cars: IMO, the E Type was about average.