Performance exhaust upgrades

Yah they look great, I just read on their website they now offer the new 21/4” tailpipes. Maybe you already have that. I understand that tailpipes and sizing contribute a lot to the sound and exhaust note.

They’ve been offering the 2 1/4" tailpipes for a long time, as far as I know. Yes, I have them, I guess. Not sure about changing exhaust note, perhaps at idle, but the main intention is they look really good. I have them pointing outwards a bit, just helps enhance the sporty wide rear end of the XJ-S.

I have their entire exhaust also. As mentioned by others, its a tight fit, particlarly on the sides where the pipes after the downpipes are very close to the heat shields. I had to add an addional engine mount insulator on the right side to rotate the engine slightly to gain space on the left.

Quality is excellent, and dealing with Simply Performance is a pleasure. They’ll bend over backwards to make sure you are happy.

On the subject of SP, they break down a lot of XJ-S’s in the UK, so have a lot of used parts. Worth asking them.

Another few from the install, please excuse the IRS, I’m not quite at the @gregma level of cleaning and detailing :smiley:

Basically it installs just like the OE system. As others have mentioned, the front pipes are a tight fit, I had issues with the right side and the engine mount clearance getting it in place, there was some serious swearing and cursing getting it installed. Never mind the left side and the heat shield… ugh. Patience will be tested.

1 Like

Looks like you have clearance issue like me. Here’s where I was dinging the heat shield under hard acceleration. The brake lines go right behind there! I ended up putting a brace between the two clamps, to help keep the pipe a bit more stable. So far, it works.

The Simply Performance pipes are about 1/2" more diameter, I think. The clearance on our cars is so minimal, that it makes a big difference trying to fit properly.

PS: Paul, underside of your car looks brand new! Wow, are you lucky. Mine isn’t rusted, but looks nowhere as clean.

Great photos and information guys. Sounds like not quite a direct fit as advertised, without a few minor adjustments and or modifications.
It reminds me I haven’t had my car up in the air for a while and always toyed with the idea of getting one of those lifts for the garage. Not sure I would have full head clearance but could probably get it 5’ off the deck. I’m really starting to hate crawling under my car these days.
I agree with Greg your under side looks amazing and clean Paul.
Keep up the good work (the both of you) !

Looks like you have clearance issue like me. Here’s where I was dinging the heat shield under hard acceleration.

Thats some interesting food for thought. During a hard’ish left hand accelerating turn, I can get a rattle/resonation from somewhere in the area that you have circled. It is on my winter project list to see if I can track it down. I had thought that maybe some of the heat shields (the long channels) were a bit loose. I’ll have to see if I can find any kind of witness marks that may indicate if the exhaust is hitting instead. Interesting!!

btw your Felpro trans pan gasket recommendation, and proper torque, has finally resulted in a leak free transmission. Yes!

1 Like

It reminds me I haven’t had my car up in the air for a while and always toyed with the idea of getting one of those lifts for the garage.

I ended up after a lot of considering the various options (2 post, 4 post, mid rise scissor etc) getting the QuickJack. Only gets about 2 feet in the air, but it is quick/easy and I feel much safer than jack stands (and relatively cheap). For me I wanted access to the centre of the car to do the transmission / exhaust. My concrete isn’t thick enough for a 2 post, and I didn’t really have the room for a 4-post (and the $$$) also I can roll these into the driveway to do my truck, that doesn’t fit in the garage.

Until I move to the county and get a bigger shop anyways!

That’s still pretty cool. Is there a safety bar that goes in somewhere in case scissor loses hydraulics?
I notice also SI offers a header package now. I guess no one tried the wrapped headers. Probably another PITA to make fit.
Has anyone toyed with the idea of an X pipe for exhaust scavenging or is there not any benefits on a V-12?
Probably not a lot of clearance either by the looks of things.

Yes, there is a safety bar/catch on each side, you lift it with the hydraulics and set it down on the safeties. You can completely depressurize the hydraulics and even disconnect them if you want.

Who is SI that the headers come from? I had a look at Simply Performance website and can’t find anything… but I could be blind too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello Paul, I was just watching the Living Classic Jaguar Video and checking out the latest Simply Performance offerings.
The downpipes with the sensor openings, larger tailpipes and upgraded manifolds

Under my car today, took photo of brace I fabricated out of aluminum plate. It helps!

So the Simply Performance exhaust pipes are great, but they bring with them clearance issues, especially on left/driver side. The stock pipes already are tight with only 1/4" clearance here and there. The wider SP pipes bring that to 1/8" in places. It’s even tighter on left shield where rear brake lines pass by. (Why, Jaguar, put them right by an exhaust pipe?!)

I probably did 8 different fine tuning adjustments across the entire exhaust until I got things as perfect as I could. BUT, on acceleration, especially heavy, there was still the tendency for left side exhaust to clink or vibrate against those metal heat shields attached to body along middle exhaust area. I installed new OEM engine mounts, but the engine still rotates just enough to move exhaust a bit.

My solution? I bought some heavy duty aluminum exhaust clamps from NAPA. I used those to connect pipes at middle of car just behind transmission. I then angled the bolts down and created an aluminum brace to mount onto the ends of the two bolts, enough so that both pipes need to move inward a bit (about 1/2" total). There is plenty of flex.

This moved each pipe about 1/4" more inward, which seems to give an extra 1/8" clearance further up the pipe where there are clearance issues. Make sure your rear over axle pipes are adjusted for this, as they may shift slightly. And its important to have plenty of height clearance on left pipe because it will move up when engine rotates on hard acceleration.

Great idea. I need to do the same. Got a part number for the NAPA clamps?

No, sorry, I don’t. And I can’t even remember the diameter. 2" pops to mind, but not sure. Bought them a year ago.

A bit fussy, but I bent them outwards so I could slip onto pipe, and then bent back to get bolt lined up. Easier than trying to detach pipes at joint!

The pipes are 2.25" OD. Napa has that type of clamp in their app, but doesn’t list the size! Kind of useless.

Found some stainless band clamps on Amazon. Supposed to be here Monday.

I’ve redone my exhaust several times, bent the heat shields for clearance, but am still getting an occasional buzz in some situations. This mod should finally stop it.

I still get the occasional clink if i floor it from a stop, but i can live with it, as i rarely drive like that.

That’s great, when you get it all sorted, post a short video so we can hear them. Also did you purchase the headers as well?

Not sure how to post video, is it the same as attaching photos?

No, didn’t get headers, still have original exhaust manifold.

Must admit, good question, I never posted one. Can’t see
why it would be much different . Others may chime in.