Pertronix burn out

Any body know how long the ignition can be left on until the pertronix unit self destructs?

Apparently, not long.

The PrtyKty has left me stranded only twice in 26 years. And one of those times was when my new (100 miles) Petronics died.

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

It’s stories like this that keep me from buying. Unfortunately GM’s much more reliable HEI ignition systems have been adapted to relatively few applications outside of GM vehicles.

When I’m doing something that involves having the ignition turned to the “run” position with the engine not running I routinely remove the red and black Petronix distributor leads from the coil. Simple and it removes power to the distributor.

If the Pertronix was on (like points being closed), engine not running, (Which I would be very surprised at) I would expect the coil to burn out long before the Petronix burns out. Also, I would expect it to have some intelligence to switch off if the engine is not running - but I don’t know the product.

The reason I say the coild should burn first, is because the resistance of an “on” Petronix unit should be extremely low(at least 10x less than coil), and since Watts = Amps squared times resistance, very little heat should be generated in the Petronix. A LOT more heat should be generated in the coil and it should get extremely hot.

1 Like

You must have the MATCHING
COIL
SPARK PLUG WIRES
To work great forever.
If not issues arise.
gtjoey1314

I once inadvertently left the key on overnight on my Crane/Allison 700 equipped car. Not advisable, but no damage to the ignition system or the modern in-tank electric fuel pump. Nearly dead Optima battery, though.

From the Pertronix website:

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I LEAVE THE IGNITION SWITCH ON WHEN THE ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING?

Leaving the ignition switch on when the engine is not running can cause permanent damage to the ignition system, and related components. This does not apply to the accessory position of the ignition switch.

Seems pretty clear - don’t do that.

You can burn up the Init with the key on for a long time
Yes it does happen

Pertronix units have certainly been known to die, and not just because they’re left on with the engine not running, or because of a wrong-spec coil. I have experienced at least one such failure, and have known of others locally.

I still like them and use them, but I always carry a spare module. They are cheap enough that two are still cheaper that most alternatives. I know some folks just carry the old points as spares, but a new module is much easier to swap in under adverse circumstances.

Bob Frisby
S2 FHC and other old Brit cars
Boise, Idaho

1 Like

Bob Agreed 100 percent
I had one of their first kits over 30 years ago
Coil , wires and unit you will be fine
Pick up a spare and your set for life
Everything breaks overall they transform the engine
Gtjoey13-4

I’ve mentioned before - this is a lower cost Pertronix alternative:

Have had one is use for a couple of years. Works fine, plays well with the tach too.

Unfortunately they raised their price quite a bit (used to be 39 bucks).

I also had a look at the Petronix web site. What is highly relevant to this thread is WHICH Petronix module was being used?

If it was the “Ignitor”, I can see that it can be damaged from long periods of engine stationary, ignition on situations, being a dumb “points simulator”. Ignitor2 and 3 should not suffer from this problem having variable dwell and much more intelligence.

Ignitor is no good for a v12 would be ok for 6-cyl.

I have used both the Ignitor module fitted to a 41060 distributor, and a Pertronix distributor, and have left the ignition on to run the electric fans for 10 minutes or so and not had an issue.
I’m fairly certain I have inadvertently left the ignition on for longer than that and again have not had an issue.
Also I’m not using their coil or wires.

There is a very high likely hood that your ignition module was parked in the “points open” position, resulting on 0 current flowing through coil and Ignitor.

Therefore, no “issues” just means you were lucky, at least twice.

Bob, The hot key heats up the module.
It will burn out if left with the key on for LOOOOONG PERIODS OF TIME.
The coil is a must and cant have an internal ballast or it will cycle and collapse or kill ignition running.
Most units for our Jags is the 3.0 coil.
You can use ANY wire as long as its carbon or fibre optic wire or they call solid core.
You cannot use traditional COPPER CORE wire, it will heat up and send spikes to the unit.
It will start fine cold, but after heat up hard to start or backfire or break up under driving conditions.
Ive dealt with them for over 30 years. Safest bet match all 3 and your good.
GTJOEY1314

I have cooked a couple of the black modules pretty quickly, I now carry a spare and when testing system disconnect wire at coil. The red module will not die but not compatible with 70/71 model yr.
Glenn

Larry, Your very lucky, don’t push your luck.
Call them direct or just look it up on line.
The copper center heats up sending spikes to the unit.
If you go around the block, your safe , but a drive in the summer or stuck in traffic, they will melt up.
It starts with a stumble, then boom a dead engine, then you pull the unit and theres a black bullseye on the side of the unit.
Good luck.
gtjoey1314

I’m under the impression that the Hot Spark unit I’m using is just a cheap knock off of the Pertronix… but I’m running copper ignition wires and a non-ballasted Lucas Sport coil.

No problems in about 10,000 miles of driving including long days and 100+ heat.

I installed the unit using heat sink paste under it, I don’t know if Pertronix recommends that.

I love all of you…
IM not a paid sponsor for Petronix.
Your just as lucky.
Call them, look it up or others can chime in.
Ive seen it all along with others.
For the MONEY they are a great unit if you purchase the complete package.
Nowadays the 123 BLOWS THAT AWAY, but your going in another direction.
Petronix is great for the money.
Good luck ……
GTJOEY1314