Pertronix Distributor Exchange

I am thinking of installing a Pertronix distributor in myXK120 in place of the Lucas one. What have been the experiences of people who have made this switch? I would appreciate any input.

You will be AMAZED!!!

It’s head and shoulders above any points and condendor dizzy.

Just watch out for severe burns, from ticked-iff purists…:grimacing:

Are the mechanical and vacuum advance curve correct for the 120 engine or must it be set up after I receive it?

Slight diversion…

I was given a Pertronix Ignitor module, used but with instructions. I can’t claim to have read every word but I didn’t see how to do the static timing.

Obviously setting the crank to 10 BTDC or whatever is as per normal, but with no points or LED to check how do you check the firing point for start-up and strobe? The instructions talked about fitting the module and the six point rotor but seemed to assume the timing would not be affected, which is fine, unless you’re installing the dizzy from scratch.?

1 Like

What problem are you trying to fix?

Engine has not been run in 50 years, wicks are gone in distributor, vacuum advance leaks and weight springs are sloppy for a starter. Thinking if I have to replace much more in it I might as well go for a whole new distributor. This is not going to be a points car and i am not a purist. Just a good looking nice reliable driver. that will remind me of what I was doing when I was 25.

If you want to change the distributor my advice is to use 123. At least they will help if you have a problem - Pertronix are not interested - in my experience. Never again will they darken my engine bay.

123 and the world is a better place…
gtjoey1314

I’ve had good support from Pertronix. They correctly explained why their module continuously failed in my car, and how to modify my car to prevent it.

But at that point I had already put back my old points, which have run without failure or replacement for 6 years! All
I’ve done is give them a light clean up with a points file a few years ago. Pertronix gave me a full refund.

If I ever decide to go electronic, I’m going 123 with the BT tunable version (via a smart phone or laptop ).

Those who love the 123 or Pertronics luv em. I use the distributor that Jaguar installed and used for 40 years or so. It does just fine…with low miles driven…it is about 10 years between points replacement…and should there be an issue it is easy to diagnose and fix. British Vacuum Unit rebuilds original distributors to a high standard…with …new curve for today’s fuel, new vac unit :…mine came back and car runs perfectly. Why do I use the original ?..it is what Jaguar used, I like it, I know it is the original type when I look at or drive the car…same as why I don’t have a 5 speed, or disc brakes, power steering, wind up windows. I am skeptical of claims of heavenly increased performance…as the original distributor delivers spark …the plugs fire, I can time the car anyway I want to…so what will create a miracle difference? I dunno. Nic

1 Like

Be skeptical all you wish: the BEST set-up p&c ignition system is no match for a good electronic system.

Its perfectly OK to want to remain “original;” just don’t make the bet it’s better.

It’s not.

did NOT say better…did say to the effect: of about equal…once spark plugs fire, and have optimally set timing…why, what , how…of a “module” type would improve actual performance…ie measured HP or torque compared to a properly set up std distributor… I realize you luv em…but objectively…what would cause a module to be “better” in use.in a 3.4 1950s 8-1 comp, engine…(not a discussion of maintenance or adjust- ability or life…).No match…you say…? how so. Nuc

-The simple fact that not a single car manufactured for a very long time, has anything BUT EI is a clue
-The number of listers’ reports of how the performance increase is noticeable is another
-The MUCH more precise timing of that spark, and the much more adjustable setting of an advance curve suitable for a much better application of that curve should be one of the best.

Message deleted"…

as I said, I know you luv the EI…but those 3 pro EI arguments fail: this is why: to use modern engines as an example is apples to oranges…the 3.4 XK …is not at all to be compared to a modern powerplant. It is Not EFI, not turbo, nor has the many other differences and demands on the modern powerplant…so what is on cars today is not a valid argument for EI on the 70 yr old 3.4 XK . The “performance increase” via seat of the pants…to “feel it” would be remarkable…is it 20 HP or more? to “feel” the miraculous performance. Even If it DID increase “seat of the pants performance…” what…2 HP? and one could “feel it” how would it even do that? .On a std distributor, 40199e, .I can and did…optimally time the spark , and set the optimal advance on a standard distributor and revise the vac unit…which is my :“point” Once well timed and curved…any performance difference would be due to what?

The performance that is felt with a new EI , and not necessarily HP, but simply smoothness of running May simply be the comparison to an old and worn out Lucas distributor. I replaced my points years ago with a pertronix module when my new points actually broke within 50 miles of installation. The module stayed in the car for 22 years without any maintenance and it still was working when I replaced it recently. How’s that over points? I replaced it with a 123 simply to remain EI, replace a 54 yo distributor and the current talk on Pertronix has not been so inviting as the 123. Obviously, points work, but they require more work than EI. The improvement has been fantastic, but might have been the same with a brand new points distributor.

exactly Trom…well stated. when either system works as intended and is set up optimally…the result is about the same…so some choose to REPLACE and SET UP the EI…It is the same work …basically…have to install and set the device up properly…and that is just what is done with a rebuilt original type distributor…rebuild it…set it up. set the advance, set the vac advance. So all that is sorta the same…and once either is optimally set up…the spark plug fires at the proper time…that is all that can happen. (given correct functional coil and wires for either). Now true that you “may” be able to leave the EI alone for 22 yrs…but a lot of posts here show dilemmas and concerns /issues that are hard to diagnose with the EI. My points last about 10 years or so…yes, low miles driven…and I know how to diagnose and to replace em…a simple task.,with no need to use a lifeline to call a friend. Either works…so.select whatcha like…I am just saying…no REAL advantage to EI. The “performs better” claim still bes the question…How can it be “better” than a properly set up points distributor…?. The first post…was about “thinking” of Pertonix instead of original Lucas. My choice for reasons stated is the Lucas…rebuilt, with a new vac unit.

Pick you poison…Heres the facts, does any car in the last 50 years come standard with points?
I understand to a degree, but if your DRIVING and REALLY DRIVING, The 123 is wonderful.
Points and condensors made now in china that pop and blow are not my cup of tea.
Ive owned everything from the 1920s to current.
Who here is running bias tires
6 volt positive ground
transistor radio
analoque cell phone
If you like points run points but there is no question they are not equal.
In ten years, no one will care, hook up your battery conversion.
gtjoey1314

1 Like

It’s been explained and typified, about a hundred times: you’ve your mind made up, irrespective of facts.

Carry on.

In some cases, yes, In sure that’s the case. a worn-out/maladjusted dizzy will cause endless issues.

Any EI that gets stuck into a worn dizzy will be better, to the extent that wear won’t as greatly affect the module as it will the points, but will not transform the car’s performance.

Put it in a properly-rebuilt dizzy, and the performance increase will mainly be a lack of needed periodic maintenance, and less effect on overall engine performance.

I used to have a Sun distributor machine, and rebuilt/recurved standard distributors, a lot.

Does a properly rebuilt standard p&c distributor work better than an old one? Yes.

Does a properly rebuilt distributor outperform----or even equal–a good, modern EI (123/EDIS)?

Not a chance.