Pete Petersen's OTS for sale on BAT

Greg Weldy, a local Maryland restorer has fixed uo the late Pete Petersen’s Series 2 OTS for his widow and is handling the sale. I notice the ad says “68K shown” but would wager it is 168k, as Pete of ten talked of the miles he did in the car as a daily driver earlier in life. Greg probably doesn’t follow J-L. Anyway, as always with old cars one should buy on condition rather than statistics. I hope his widow gets a good price

Morning Peter,
Have been following that car on BAT and wondered if it was Pete’s, hope it does well.
LLynn

Me too, Lynn. If I was looking for an OTS this would be high on my list. Nice color combo, huh? :slightly_smiling_face:

–Drew

1 Like

Yup. Certainly my favourite.

Looks like a decent car, and from the description of its freshening up has had a wad of cash thrown at it. I was sitting beside a 70-something Austin Healey 100/6 owner at a local car show on the weekend and the conversation went to advising our wives on “what to do when”. Watching this one as an object lesson.

Only at $22K so far. Well undervalued but there are still three days to go. The commentary says the sills are too nice to be original but that’s obvious from the unleaded seams at the A and B posts
http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170708_091506.jpg

The boot seems solid enough but those look like pop rivets protruding through the license plate panel

http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20161024_190530.jpg

The pointer on the sump is odd.
http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170711_065730.jpg

rivets used for the floor repair
http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/20170711_070033.jpg

It’s an amateur body job but it looks like a better than average starting point for a solid resto or a nice driver. Engine/gearbox rebuild is a no-brainer and cheap if you do it yourself. Looks like a lot of the suspension, brake etc. work’s been done. Decent chrome and interior. Should go $50-60K?

Nick, the series ll license plate bracket was riveted on from the factory. My series ll has the same timing pointer. I’m still looking for the rivets in the floor. Look like spot welds to me.

Thanks Jeff. I am definitely ignorant about the S2 body rear end treatment. My understanding is the timing pointer location changed to the front cover for 1969 but maybe this is an early car? The extra seam behind the footwells indicate the floors have been replaced. Spot welds would have been better than rivets, certainly, but a seam weld would be better still, and spot welds don’t show when covered with fresh undercoat.

Edit: full disclosure. I grossly underestimated the hammer price of a 1968 CDN delivery (tricarb) OTS at this Spring’s Toronto classic car auction. I guessed $50K, it went over $80K. I may be way out to lunch on what I think this one’s worth.

True, but I added a lower pointer on mine (in addition to the original up top). Gives me an option when working below (just have to use 2 or 5 instead of 1 or 6).

I suspect that I am not the only one to think of that.

I did the opposite and have only an upper pointer, to have the timing light in my left hand with the dizzy in my right.

My 69 2+2 had both pointers but I only used the one on the front cover rather than crawl under the car with a timing light. Car was pretty original when I purchased it.

Len Wheeler

Could it be mechanics in Jaguar dealerships didn’t want to learn new tricks and installed lower pointers in S2 cars? I still can’t figure out how to set the timing live using the lower pointer. With the upper one you need only shoot, twist the dizzy to match the pointer to the spot on the damper vernier and Bob’s your uncle.

S1 and S2 damper verniers are offset from one another. Mine is S2.

I would not worry about what the bid is at this time. I follow BAT and things do not get hot till the last few hours.
abe

Got a guess on hammer price, Abe?

I venture to say 70-80k range. But I really do not know. There was a beautiful 63 OTS very nicely restored that sat on 90k till the very end…It sold for 151k…nice car.
Sometimes people go crazy there…and there are times that you kick yourself for not bidding.
Abe

More like $80K may be right, Abe. If someone pays that kind of money for this car he/she should hopefully just drive it and enjoy it for the nice driver it is. The additional cost to transform it into a condition 2 would not be worth it, at least for now.

Agree…I have a 69 OTS that I am driving over 4000 miles on the Big Sky Oil Leaks in September. No way would I be doing that if my car was a nicely restored Series 1 worth $160 to 175k.
Abe

Why not, Abe? My car is a nicely restored Series 1 worth something up there. I’ll be driving it on the Oil Leak. What’s the problem? Everything can be fixed, and there is nothing about having a more beat up car that makes tours more fun, I think! See you out there!

Jerry

1 Like

See recent auction prices in the Hillsborough thread!

Jerry

Do you or yours have any dietary restrictions, Jerry? Preferred wine? Any particular time we should expect to retreive you at BUF?

Inside bet, folks. Jerry seems (for now) to have the upper hand.

I’m going to guess 50-60K, Wiggy’s car only went for mid fifties, course it WAS purple.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like