Petrol tank cleaning

Like Greg I had surface rust only (and nothing worse) under my old tank. Got someone to mix up paint using my car’s paint code and the match came out really well. I put it on after sanding, treating, and anti rust primer.

I then used a sheet of 3/8in neoprene in place of the tank mat. That also worked really well.

Did I ever show you all the crude patch job that some PO did on my original tank? I took one look at it when I finally got it out and went online and ordered a new one!

**Brave otherwise guy that welded that tank!!!
It can be dome, but the process requires a lot of care.

Ethanol gets blamed for a lot of stuff. some deserved, some not. Promotes rusting of steel, not as I see it Concensate, aye.

Take a page from the folks that fly small air craft. Drin at the bottom of the tank. They bleed off a bit into a glass. Some water!!!

For us . Drive and add fuel regularly.

Water plus steel = rust, not ethanol plus steel…

Tank liners. Do they react with ethanol. I sense that they might! Don’t know.

Carl

1 Like

Partially filled tanks get condensation inside easier than full tanks …air space…one would think that ethanol would absorb it…on the xjs the two piece tank seam is tipped so that at many levels of being filled the level of gas sits somewhere on the seam…does that promote rust when a car isn’t used for long times…

For anyone wishing to clean their tank and reinstall, I have done this on every car I have rebuilt. Dozen or so. Empty fuel, Remove tank and dump in a pound of 5/16 nuts, and a pound if 1-1/4 drywall screws. (Or similar)Set it on a pair of saw horses, and add 4-5 gallons of hot water and detergent. Then spend an hour shaking it left ant right , back and forth, rotating the tank to a new position every five minutes or so.

This will clean rust shellac, and all manor of crap you never thought would be in your fuel tank.

Empty, and rinse with a hose till it runs clear.

Yes, it will take some shaking to get out that last bit or screw from behind a baffle. But they will all come out.

Great idea. I’ve done similar on other critters in he past.

Nowadays, If I had an old fashioned porch swing ! I’d set that tank with the bits in it. I like tacks. .Pour myself a mint Julip and swing away for a spell…

1 Like

Kirby , 22 US gallons !