Petronix honest long term opinion from drivers

Particulary if its so easily reversible.

1 Like

I have Pertronix units in the original distributors in my Cooper S, Series 2A Land Rover, 390 Mustang and also in my 289 Cobra’s original Autolite dual-point. Never had any problems - the Mustang’s done 50k miles in the last 15 years on the same unit and the others are mostly fairly high mileage. Each car has a spare module in the toolkit, with only one Ever being needed, in the Mini in 2013 in Luxembourg - the others are still the originals fitted. No chance I’ll use points again, ever.

1 Like

I put a Pertronix dizzy in my car while Jeff at Advanced Distributors was rebuilding my original. I saw no advantage to the Pertronix, and put the rebuilt original back in when it came back. I just like the simplicity of points.

Points, simpler than electronic??

OKKKKK…:grimacing:

1 Like

I put a Petronix electronic distributor in the FHC. Relegated the points distributor to the spares I might carry on a long trip. The Petronix has performed flawlessly thus far, 3 plus years.

1 Like

Or the Luminition unit I used to use a long time ago.

Yea… I REALLY miss jammin’ my head and shoulders down into that odd-shaped space of an E Type to adjust/replace points.

:roll_eyes:

Is this the “Stove Bolt” six? A really good write up on the Stove Bolt in Octane a few months ago. Paul

IIRC, the real “Stove bolts” were last made in the mid to late 50s, but Chevy 6s–their longest production run engines–were always lovingly referenced as “stove bolts.”

Yeah, I consider something that you can SEE with your own eyeballs if it’s working or not to be simpler than an electronic module that looks the same whether it’s good or bad. Ironic that so many folks have posted that they carry points in case the electronics fail. I don’t worry that I accidentally leave my key on too long either.

1 Like

And I REALLY like the tactile feel of adjusting the points. To each his own.

Fair enough: I am on the opposite end.

I had to adjust/replace so damn many of the buggers, plus knowing that overall, they are not as reliable as p&c, I couldn’t wait to begin installing Allisons, when they became available.

I do not miss them, or carburettors.

I switch shortly after I rebuilt the car. Within a month, the new points I had put in simply broke into two pieces leaving me stranded at the office

I began seeing quality issues with points around 1980: around then is when I discovered Allisons, and about then Toyota began using the points-based “ACnitor”, where the points acted only as a microvoltaged switch for the electronic box it had.

Those points lasted forever.

I did not have any reliability problems with points in any of my cars but having to fiddle with them pretty often to keep the performance at a good level for a daily driver was a pain compared to the Pertronix. Might not be a big deal for a nice weekend car like my E but even it starts easier and consistently runs better since I switched to the Pertronix module. I am normally an old school guy but this is one electronic thing I do like much better.

David
68 E-type FHC

Larry, I bought my 123 from 123ignitionUSA. I had no problems. That was 5 years ago.

btw, the 123 distributor detects if the ignition switch is left on and protects itself from burn-out. Some days at 5pm I wish I was similarly equipped.

My Petronix lasted over a hundred miles. Only twice has the PrtyKty left me stranded along the road.
Then I went to Crane, a far superior product, in my opinion. Still got it in a box as I went with Rays EDIS.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

I saw that as I was reading up on them. Good feature as I always leave the keys in the ignition when in the garage. And being a S1, it’s easy for me to leave it on if fiddling around with ignition-on circuits. Like the other day😖

1 Like

Wiggie asks, “Points, simpler than electronic??”

I have spent more than my fair share of time under the hood, in the dark, sometimes rain or snow, with a flashlight filing and adjusting points.
I don’t want to do it anymore.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

1 Like