Philidas nut source

I am missing one of the C3320/5 1/2-20 ANF “Philadas” self-locking nuts for the upper wishbone shaft on my '51 XK120. Does anyone know of a source for these, or perhaps have a spare lying round that they are willing to part with?

Edit: “Philadas” is the incorrect term. These are “Oddie” nuts.

Fasteners-Oddie-1945-84552

Tim

McMaster Carr is often mentioned on these forums as a comprehensive supplier of nuts, bolts etc. Have a look at their website.

Checking McMaster-Carr was my first move. No dice. Thanks.

Tim

British parts Northwest has it I believe. It appears that actual Philidas nuts are metric only. This came up as I searched for them

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/1-2-unf-self-locking-turret-nut.html?gclid=CjwKCAiArbv_BRA8EiwAYGs23AoljLdC6OCFsYDiPWVRAqA4tPrefTWHz3_zoeSbbMQq5zULYJZ18BoCW9sQAvD_BwE

In case some reading this thread may not know what is a Philidas nut.

Failing any success in the search… a deep or long nut, a lathe, and a wire feed electro-deposition EDM cutter.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Those aren’t them. I must be using the wrong term. These are the nuts I’m talking about:
An Image from the Jag-lovers Photo Album (jag-lovers.org)

Tim

A little more digging reveals that they are “Oddie” nuts. (http://www.aviationancestry.co.uk/Humm/Sites/Main/Views/Database/Images/Oddie/Fasteners-Oddie-1945-84552.jpg)

Well, I dang sure had not heard that term before!

2 January, 2021, and I already know two new facts!

1 Like

Unless you are going for concourse, I would say the the ones at BP Northwest, or “deformed”nuts, the latter I have used before and work extremely well, would serve your purpose.

If you are willing to go with a very close copy you can go to Fastenal or another ‘all steel lock nut sites’ and look up ‘steel top lock nuts’ and find the size you need. Then using your thin cut off wheel on your Dremel tool to put the six cuts on each corner and you have a very good reproduction which functions well as a lock nut. John

Hi,

Right! I was waiting for that, but wasn’t 100% sure, they are very common also on the MKV as are most other componenents of the front suspension on the XK120.

Cheers!

Tim,

About 2 years ago the subject has been discussed here. Bob K.

Hello Tim, if you are wishing a used C.3320/5 which may be taken off my Mark V parts car, please send me a private message. I can check for you next time I visit the parts car.

Hello Tim, for redundancy, can you verify the nut needed? The upper wishbone has two different locking nut sizes. Below are pictures from my Mark V. The first picture is the C.3320/5 are for the bolts securing the upper wishbone shafts to the chassis frame. The second picture is the C.3320/3 also used for securing the upper wishbone shaft.

C.3320/5

C.3320/3

These are on my Mark V driver and I will check the parts car once confirmed. Cheers.

And I should also say the C.3320/3 also is used on the lower wishbones on the Mark V (as shown in photo).

Hi Roger:

Your upper photo - C.3320/5 - is the correct one. Thanks for looking into this.

Tim