PICK UP MODULE replacement (where?) SII

Hallo everyone, I finally came again because I have some problems with my Pick up module from the distributor to the coil, I have no spark at all and by testing the wirings it seems that they are frayed and fractured. I am looking for a replacement one but couldn’t find a store ?
Can someone help me with the partnr and shop where to purchase? Your address will be very helpfull in starting my XJ II ,1978 again!!

Regards,
Dirk Ammersingh

The testing consist of measuring the resistance through the pick-up at the ign amp connector, Dirk - to read between 2,2 to 4,8 Kohms…

While frayed wiring is ‘not good’ - if the measured resistance is within spec; the problem may not be the pick-up…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Indeed we have checked the ballast resistor and the neg coil. All where OK. However after the connnection through the Amplifier to the Pick Up coil, there is no spark! For that reason I think that the Amplifier is damaged or a connnection is loose.
Do you have a repair list for the Amplifier? We have two and both doesn’t have Voltage. I think an transformer in the Ampli needs to become conducted . But it doesn’t !!
Please help us out because the JAG its getting worse !!

Waiting your soonest reply,
Dirk

What is the year, model, and engine of your car? Without this information few will be able to help without guessing.

Paul

Is this a Lucas Opus? If so, just forget that POS and install a FAST 700-0300:

https://www.raceplumbing.net/Fast-Electronics-700-0300-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-XR700-Electronic-Optical-Trigger-British-Import-Lucas-OPUS-Distributor-Kit_p_44462.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwka_1BRCPARIsAMlUmEozxsuEVoXcR-6EvJn2AFGuQq8kT8oYT_PFS70Ty5r-ojoMVsXhLlgaAvuUEALw_wcB

Used to be called a Crane XR700.

1 Like

The pick-up coil is in the distributor, Dirk - delivering a very weak signal to the ign amplifier. The pick-up has no power to spark on its own.

Apart from checking coil resistance through the wires from the amp end, verifying connections - the pick up can be accessed for alignment and proper gap. There is no specific test for verifying that the pickup actually give a signal - though a test can likely be concocted…

However, that is relating to the later CE system - as Paul points out you may have the older OPUS ignition, which requires a different approach…so…?

Frank

If the pickup in the distributor has three wires to it, it’s an Opus. If it has only two wires to it, it is the later CEI.

pick up module.
These are readily available providing we’re talking about the same thing and have the right ignition system. Looks like there’s a couple of variants (mostly depending on what country. Is this a Federal XJ?
Anyway
SNGBarratt.com
terrysjag.com
rockauto.com
all list an ignition pick up - I’m just not sure if it’s the right one.

on my Series II I replaced the whole lot with a Pertronix unit. No more stranded on the side of the road in the middle of now where with no cell service. My situation was a bit different. It was points, and the distributor was completely worn out the rotor spun around lake a pair of pasties at a burlesque show.
making the car a bit unreliable. She ran great until the rev counter exceeded 2 grand; then all hell broke loose.

replacing with the Pertronix was the best money I spent. Granted it was just another lay on the Series II onion, but one less thing to worry about.

And before that, an Allison.

Seems to be, Mark…

The question is whether it is the offending part - cheap compared to the Pertronix…:slight_smile:

Frank

on both of my xj’s it was the offending part. Well then the grey one, the kick in the teeth was the cam chain being slack on the intake side. Once that was resolved. She fires up straight away - even after sitting for a spell.

It’s easy enough to test. I know you and I’ve gone over this a couple of times. I think the last one was “another XJ that won’t start”