Pinstrip on the body

Hi there,

On the XJS from 1988, I have an edging on the body.

I would like to know if this sticker is available somewhere ?

Thank you
jean

Picture of the edging,:

personally, i think the car looks better without. With a heat gun and finger nails, i removed mine pretty easily.

In 1988 I’m pretty sure that would have been a dealer-added item, meaning that it’s whatever the dealer could find at JC Whitney or whatnot; it’s not an original Jaguar factory feature. Most people call it a pinstripe, although there may be other terms for it.

Jean,

Pinstripes, also called coachlines, were applied at the Jaguar factory on all North American market 1988 XJ-Ss per page VI-11 of the Jaguar Clubs of North American Concours Rule Book. If your car was not a North American Market car it may of may not have had coach lines applied at the factory. Attached are pictures of the correct gold coachlines that I purchased directly from Jaguar and applied to my wife’s Signal Red 1990 XJ-S convertible after it was repainted.

From the picture that you provided is appears to me that your coachlines are not original Jaguar factory parts but something purchased from an aftermarket supplier.

I like the look of coachlines, but others do not. It is a matter of personal preference. I also try to maintain my Jaguars to how they were when they left the factory so I use factory parts, like these coachlines, when I can find them to keep our Jaguars looking original.

Paul

1 Like

First, english not my mother tongue, so I have sometimes problems with the words…

Here, in France, there is a LOT of XJS fitted with this same pinstripe along their cars. I’m not sure it was a dealer sticker, but maybe a factory option for France ?

Look at this one, for example, it’s exactly the same.

Jean,
Your english is much better than my french.:slightly_smiling_face:
I looked again at the picture in your first post and I have never seen coach lines of that design and color in the USA on any model Jaguar. I suspect that they were applied by the dealership in France, although I could be wrong about that. If you look at the Jaguar factory coach lines in the pictures that I provided of our 1990 XJ-S convertible you will see how they differ at the front and rear ends where the two lines meet. That is what I am used to seeing in Jaguar XJ-S coachlines that were applied at the factory.

Paul

That doesn’t look like any factory coach-line I have ever seen.
Not that I have seen it all.
The combination of colors is quite distinctive.
I had a number of rolls of coach-lines, still in the original Jaguar boxes.
My 94 had the decal coach-lines, XJS on the rear quarters and rear screen.
That was a somewhat soft metallic green/gold on the Glacier (NDP) paint.
None of that was obtrusive so I thought that all looked great to me.
Painted stripe work I’ve see looks nicer because you can get a thinner stripe.

Pin stripes went out with the 80s!
:wink:

Greg,

Wrong. Coach lines are cool. :sunglasses:

Paul

1 Like

So I made some research.

Coach lines are definitively official Jaguar.

Cars for the USA came without coach lines.

I would like to put a PDF, but I can’t.

You will find the info on pages 10-13 on the following document

Shame the parts catalogue ends at 1991 model year. Factory painted pinstripes (called coachlines) were available on the UK facelift models (possibly as an optional extra) in later years. Mine were (sadly) replaced with stick on strips when the car was repainted by a PO. One day I will get round to having the stick on strips replaced with proper painted lines - gives a much more professional finish IMHO.

Frankie

I’m not a big fan of coachlines in general, but they do suit some cars. And a professionally painted one can be a thing of beauty. I know if I tried it, that it would look like the trace from an ECG scope, monitoring me trying to paint a coachline.

I go to a trade school and have access to a vinyl cutter, if you’re in the states I could mail you a copy of your sticker, just send me the dimensions.

if you are overseas i could send you a file or for a fee i could mail it.

I have seen this item recently on SNJ Barratts (UK) website

While searching last night for some other exterior trim I discovered a roll of NOS Jaguar gold stripes.
Also in the bin were a set of NOS ruby center caps and three or four boxes of Glacier (NDP) touch up paint.

Interested in selling stripes and center caps
PM me if so

My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 'em.

I like them…

Carl

I must admit my 1988 has or had the coach lines. I think you can tell original Jaguar ones as opposed to dealer installed by the back end of the rear fender. Jaguar closed the two lines with a vertical line most dealers/ detailers would not take the time to do that. My were looking really ratty and I scraped them off to try a preserve the original paint but the coach lines were letting the car down. My 90 year old dad who still lives in England convinced me to put them back on. I kinda like them , it breaks up the plain panel a little and creates interest in the line of the car.
But then what do I know?

[quote=“jean, post:1, topic:395855, full:true”]
Hi there,

On the XJS from 1988, I have an edging on the body.

I would like to know if this sticker is available somewhere ?

Thank you
jean

Apologies once again the wrong picture crept in there. But what I did was go to one of our local auto graphic guys that carried a full line of various pinstripes. I wanted a low key almost ghost like gun metal grey to keep it classy. I think you can go as bold as you want but I still believe Jaguar is about suttle and class.
I like to dress the car up but try to stay true to heritage.

Picture of the edging,:

[/quote]