Plain tappet cover

I have two plain type Tappet Covers. One of them has “Jaguar C type” cast into it, The parts have come in boxes from America. I want to fit them to my Series 1.5 E type, but cannot find any details of their use.
Were they fitted to the C type, and why only one marked?
my E type has come in boxes stripped down and will be as I want it not original

Can you put up some pictures ?

Are you sure it’s cast and not a riveted placard? You’d see the round marks on the inside where the rivets are swaged flat. If so it’s pretty rare. You can probably buy a correct set for what that one is worth to the right person. The other is off another car, could be 3.8 or 4.2 or a saloon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304694776608

Thanks for the replies, just learning about E types, and new to this Forum. I have restored several TR’s and Healeys. and an XK120
The C type lable is rivetted on and so it belongs to a XK140 , but I liked the Shiny XK120 covers
It also comes with three SU Carbs, all as well as its originals, spoilt for choice
This car is all in boxes since 1981 , so I may need more help in the future
Thanks again
Chris

Welcome to the funny farm! You’ve come to the right place. If you have an E-type question that can’t be answered here it likely can’t be answered! Incredibly knowledgeable group of folks on this forum.

1 Like

First, some seemingly irrelevant info. There were three types of tachometer used with XK engines: cable, generator and inductive. The head and right valve cover both need to be machined for the same tach drive, or you will have a fit or seal issue. Before you go too far, trial fit the right cam cover. The half-hole at the back of the cover should match the head.

Welcome Chris ….you’ve chosen the best way to buy an e type ……in boxes !

I’ve done this a couple of times it’s great fun to sort, figure out what’s missing etc

You also need to make decisions about …do I refurbish this or replace …eg brake parts ….refurbishment is often more expensive …. There are some really good suppliers around and some not so good

What’s your body like ? Also I know it’s a 1.5 but closed or open headlight etc …. The more we know the more we can help as a collective
Also lots of photos so we can follow from now till it’s finished!

The E type is a very late 1.5 convertible, It came with a set of floors and sills all bought in 1999 after he had bought the car in 1981. The previouse owner had collected several parts ,smooth tappet covers and three SU carbs, with inlet manifold. From your earlier advice I may have to fit the Original 4.2 bits.
The Carbs are 3.8 AUC112, but I see the overhaul kit is the same for 3.8 and 4.2 so would like to fit the SU carbs. I have replaced floors and sills, done the Diff and front suspension, had the car 5 months, still very excited. will try to find how to put on pictures

You can fit the 3.8 carbs …. But need to plug a couple of water holes in the head ….@wiggles will be able to describe it better…… so when you get the head done it’s a small job to fill the 2 ports with appropriate plugs…… it will also require the
linkages to be changed to the 3.8 type on the fire wall …I take it that you’ll be converting to RHD …… quite easy to do …just buy the parts!

So the car should have come with the ribbed cam covers and will not have the tachometer off the cam , that will be driven by induction…… another can of worms if you decide to run electronic ignition….quite solvable

I have fitted RHD , but when I do the head I may need advice. Nothing on firewall at present, there may be bits in the boxes. When I restored the XK120
It was together, but found Bernard Viart’s restoration book the best I have ever seen
Is there an equivalent on restoration for the e type?
Engine coming into working garage Monday, too cold for body work over winter.
need something to do, will use Viarts book for engine hopefully.

Nice challenge there…I can’t ( won’t attempt) body work