(please help) radiator cooling fan not working!

Hello I have a 1982 XJ6 it and my car has been getting pretty hot lately! It almost hit 130 today well I was in the Chick-fil-A drive through mine you it was 102 degrees outside I thought maybe it was just the heat I soon realized I was wrong I watch a video of possibly cases and it said to check your cooling fan ( turn the car and AC on full blast and check the radiator cooling fan to see if it’s working. I did got nothing the thing isn’t spinning at all.

If it’s 80 degree weather or under the car runs only a bit hot from the middle sometimes a bit under

Does anyone know if the system turns the fan on and off at certain times ? Or should it be on and running at all times I checked the fuse and the manual says to put a 12/25 when the actual box just says to put a 15Amp fuse I did still nothing. Is there a relay or something that can be blown? Does anyone have any links to buy this kinda stuff ?

Any help would be helpful I will try any suggestions as my car is starting to over heat in this weather.

Here is a copy of the electrical diagram for the fan. Yes, there is a relay. There are two fuses associated with the fan relay, one at the headlight fuse block on left wing and one in the main fuse block, slot #11.

You’ll just have to do some testing with a volt/ohm meter (preferably a digital) until you come to something that is not working. I.E., the thermal switch is probably a screw-in sender located on the engine into the water jacket. It should have two wires coming out of the top, disconnect each of the wires and put your meter on OHMS and touch one test lead to one wire and the other lead to the other wire, your meter should show 0 or open or something indicating no continuity. This is with the engine cold, before it’s been started.

Unplug both wires coming out of the fan motor and ground the black one with a jumper wire to a good ground. Use another jumper, connected to 12v and BRIEFLY touch it to the green/blue wire. The fan should spin.

If those two tests check out OK, the relay should be tested, looking for the the appropriate 12v or ground on the correct pins. Should be five pins (blades) on the bottom of the relay, numbered as in the diagram.

Good luck.

Dave

IF you hit 130°C one would expect the pressure being high enough to pop the overflow open and you see coolant all over. Do you have access to a temperature gun to measure quickly?

I’m not seeing through the mix of F and C but the electric fan will kick on at under 130° C (coolant).

A. The thermostat is not opening fully and the engine overheats while the radiator stays a bit cooler. The auxiliary fan will not come on and the main fan will not lock.

B. The electric fan is broken or there is no power. It can be tested by jumping the red relay. If it runs the power side is okay.

C. The relay or sensor doesn’t work. Check the relay and then look at the sender, or wire a lamp to it (1-5W maybe) so you can see whether it turns on when it’s overheating.

D. 130°C on the gauge will not necessarily boil over.

Test B-C-A.