Polishing exhaust

I have a 1970 E Type, OTS. I’ve never had much of a problem polishing the resonators to a nice shiny finish. Being a bling nerd, I’ve tried to polish the mufflers and tailpipes, as I’d get some brown streaking, presumably baked on oil drippings of sort, even though I don’t have a problem with significant oil leakage anywhere. So…I’d go after it with a ragwheel on a drill, using different metal polishes, achieving a decent result, albeit a lot of elbow grease. I’ve tried BBQ cleaners, oven cleaners, stainless steel polishes, all with no real impact to my previous technique. Yesterday, I tried a different approach. I used an “Ultrafine” Scotchbrite pad to remove most of the crud. Followed by a white Scotchbrite pad (hardly abasive at all). Topped it off with my conventional metal / chrome polish and got a very nice result without a lot of effort.

1 Like

:needpics:

1 Like

funny image, and I will steal it to use: but I think I can imagine it…but I tend to day dream a lot…no problem with imaginary images…Nick

Nick

Here are some more you may enjoy
The last is my favorite

:beer2:
:fawk:
:boxer:
:deadhorse
:puke:
:moon:
:biohazard:
:3gears:

3 Likes

I give up, what is the last one doing?

Looks like a driver dropping it in low and burning rubber…

I gave up, at the mention of polishing the exhaust.

:persevere:

3 Likes

Burning rubber in first , second and third gear ( a little less every shift).

Duly noted. Plus 20.0000

I am still at the first one…
Nick

OH, makes more sense…I thought it was someone pressing a plunger and blowing themselves up

Whilst I like the never ending glass of Guinness, the others make me wonder about who put them there. Should I feel this afraid of Craig?

I recall a guy at a concours cleaning the inside of the resonator tips on his trailered car. Now I, like many others, enjoy detailing a car but that’s going a bit too far, IMO.

1 Like