Polyurethane Suspension Bushes for MKV - Lubricate or Not?

Hello again,

I fitted new polyurethane bushes to the front end of my MKV. I was told not to lubricate them but after a very short drive I noticed that they had split. Are they supposed to be lubricated when first installed? It’s all very frustrating. Should I have just replaced them with the ordinary rubber bushes?:weary:

Cheers,
Tim

As you suggested you should have used original meralastic bushes.

Thanks Ed, Where would you suggest I purchase those?

Cheers,
Tim

Metalastik was the original brand name, but since they are exactly the same as for XK120, many suppliers offer them as repros, and I would bet they all get them from the same rubber shop. I got mine from Moss Motors in California, but you may have your own preferences where you are.
Rubber should be good for 30 years.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that information. The rubber bushes were originals from 1951! They probably should have been replaced thirty years ago. I’ll get them from Worcester Classic Spares and return the vastly expensive poly bushes to Barrett’s.

Cheers,

Tim

As a general rule if a part was common to Xks and/or a saloon. It will often be cheaper to buy the saloon one
After all the suppliers know that if one can afford an XK the buyer must be filthy rich and money is no object when buying parts for a rare collectible classic.
And I am also informed that the poly bushes can damage the suspension., to wit the knurling where they mount.

As you once said Ed, to be in an XK120 is to sit on it and not in it. I guess the wealthy owner might enjoy a stiffer ride to compensate for the padding of a full wallet?!:grin:

I’m told that the rubber bushes make the ride far more comfortable in the MKV as well as protecting the mounting points, et al.

Cheers,
Tim