Porcelain manifolds

While I’m still working on the fuel pumps, I need to get started on the exhaust manifolds.

The porcelain has been done twice already, With 2,500 miles they need to be done again.

I have had it with porcelain. I’m looking to do a ceramic coating. I search the archives and did not find a recent post on the subject.

I cannot find anyone who has a gloss ceramic coating. I’m looking at Jet-Hot for a semi-gloss finish.

Anyone have recent experience with ceramic coating?

Thanks,
Micah

I have Jet Hot manifolds that look as good today as they did over ten years ago when they were done. They have a lifetime guarantee and mine our gloss silver but I believe they have something close to Jaguar original coating. Take your studs out before sending them in . I believe they have several factories in the US to save shipping costs.

Gerard

Gerald,
Thanks. They quoted me $300 for the pair plus return shipping. They said I can leave the studs in and they will mask them off. Also, they will give it a thicker coat in the hope that it will appear somewhat original.

Thankfully, I show in the modified class and wont get hit for non-original.

Just need to find the time to get them out and ship them off. Hope they come out well.

Micah

There will of course be the last one nut that won’t budge and you’ll bruise a knuckle fighting the forces of nuts that are too tight! If you find that local weather is hard on your coatings, I do have garage space for the MK10 here in dry climate Colorado…

Gerard

Hi, I have porcelain on my trailer queen, but my driver after having similar experiences doe not. What I did was to polish the manifolds so they were very smooth, then sent them out for Jet hot satin. This does last, some 10 years later they still look good. If you do not smooth the manifolds you will see a rough sand cast appearance in satin black.
Regards,
Allen

I just wanted to update my original post.

I ended up sending them to Jet Hot. The last time I did them in porcelain, I did a lot of grinding and smoothing. So, this time I just sent them off.

Turn around was pretty quick. I unpacked one and it looked pretty good. Certainly not the beautiful gloss that they use to have.

I mounted one and it looked strange to me. I thought all the stud threads were good and I did a better job sanding them down. I went to mount the second one and it looked really nice. I then noticed it was the same shape as the first. Turned out Jet Hot got two sets in at the same time. Even though them marked them, they mixed them up. They got ahold of the other individual and paid the shipping for us to swap. I got a free T-shirt out of it.

I always have a hard time getting the pipes back on with the crush gaskets and this time it was a real PIA. The standard studs are just not long enough. I end up cutting some threaded rod to make longer studs after I looked everywhere for something premade. I put a jam nut in to peep them from moving.

I only have about 100 miles on them. I do miss the nice porcelain, but if these hold up, I’m happy. It looks better than flaking shards of glass coming of the manifolds.

Micah

Mine have shown minimal wear after 12 years of use. I hope you will be happy with JH. They have excellent customer service and you will look pretty nice in your new shirt!! No affiliation of course just happy with the product which has a lifetime guarantee.

Gerard

Hi there jag folks ! I have recently acquired a 3.8s and although a thing of great beauty the o/p manifolds look original but are starting to crocodile skin asit were ,so now i have it running after sitting for a decade there is a annoying little exhaust fart happening so it has to come off anyway so!! do i refurb the ceramic or go for new stainless ? I intend this car to be my daily driver not a show queen and price is not an object! just ignore my wife its just noise !