Position/Angle of MK2 Radiator Drain Tap : Is this normal?

I am installing a new aluminum radiator. Now I have figured out the right thread for the drain tap (thanks everyone) I find another small issue.

I want to keep the original remote drain activation mechanism - the bar that runs from the top down the side of the radiator to open the tap.

The position of the drain tap hole on the new rad is very close to the original - but the original is canted to one side by ~10 degrees off vertical. This allow a smidge (~+0.5cm) extra clearance between the bar and the fan. I would guess that a change was made in production once they discovered there wasn’t enough tolerance and it was easier to have the radiator outlet orientation changed since they couldn’t move it further ‘out’ to the edge. I always thought it was odd before when using the drain that it sent the stream of fluid onto the chassis leg rather than straight out.

I want to give the radiator manufacture the information to change their jig ( they are interested). Given the differences between the new and original radiator there is enough room to move the hole ~0.5- 1cm ‘out’ and leave it oriented straight out for ease of manufacture.

However before all that… is the position and odd orientation of the drain tap on my radiator original or has the radiator been replaced at some point resulting in this slightly odd angle.

Cheers.
Dave

!

Look’s about the same as mine ! 20200222_144225

And mine now out in favour of an Aluminium one.