Possible TPS problem?

Hi all, noticed over the last few weeks there is a dead spot at times from idle.
The car just moves off slightly but I have to apply much more pedal which then causes the car to accelerate more than I want. I have a iCar930 scanner but its not throwing up any codes and the limited time I have been able to watch the scanner it looks like the tps (if I am reading it correctly) is vacilitating between .63v and 18.44v
For this reason I am a little dubious of the scanner output at present.
I am leaning towards a dodgy TPS but it is random at present :frowning:
Any thoughts?

An analog multimeter, or voltmeter, may do better job here. As you sweep the potentiometer, the digital voltmeter might skip over a tiny dead spot, whereas the analog would certainly reveal an issue with a dipping needle.

You will likely get no help from the OBD2, it is so reluctant to throw a code for this problem.

What does your throttle body look like? It might be time to clean it up!

1 Like

I would agree that a sticky butterfly in the TB causes lurching whilst accellerating and this can be cured with TB in situ, with a toothbrush and cloths along with carb. cleaner.
Best check the TPS voltage with an analogue voltmeter to rule it out.

The throttle butterfly is controlled via a cable rather than a fly by wire situation, I checked the tps action with 2 scanners and both have a smooth transition through to 100% at kick down.
Yesterday I cleaned out the part throttle port in the left hand cam cover, didn’t seem to be clogged, gave the TB a wipe out with MAF cleaner and sprayed the hot wire in the MAF with cleaner.
It seemed to be idling a bit smoother, it used to appear to have a bit of a miss from cold, tomorrow will be the test as the car has stood still for all of today.

BTW if you disconnect the O2 sensors make sure you label each connector because it’s easy to cross them and you end up in a bggr’s muddle!

Sorry meant to post this in another thread!!