Power Delivery Issue

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 58 plate X-Type estate 2.0D, manual to try and save, as it was too good to see scrapped, however…

My mechanic and I are at a loss with the power issue the car is suffering, we have checked or done the following:

EGR clean (and then delete after no initial change)
DPF clean
Boost pipe not split
Turbo boosting
Full service
Injector cleaner
Fuel system cleaner
Injector seals
Cam gasket
MAP sensor replacement
MAF sensor replacement

The OBD reader is not throwing up any faults either. I may have missed a couple of things off, we’ve checked that damn much!

Basically all the usual culprits have been checked or done and we still can’t get to the bottom of it.

The car just seems to lack any power and to get anything out of it, needs to be very high RPM - doesn’t like to be under 2k RPM at any speed it seems. The engine does seem to run pretty smoothly, albeit with a little black smoke out of the exhaust still when booted.

Has anyone had a similar problem or have any suggestions as to what we can look at next? Help would be much appreciated, as it’ll be broken for parts if I can’t resolve it, which would be a real shame!

Have you done a pressure check with spark plugs out and hot?
Have you checked the spark plug firing?
Have you checked the electric timing to the timing mark?

Walter

I would suggest pulling the injectors and bench cleaning them. Injector fluid will only help with slightly fouled injectors.

The high revving but low power has me stumped. Any restrictions in the fuel system or exhaust, I would expect to show up under high revs.

Joshua,
I hope that you have found a solution. If not, perhaps you could consider that the turbo has variable vanes and if the car has been driven too long carefully the vanes get blocked up with soot and do not move to increase the boost. I have had this on our 2.0 D also because they are a pretty dirty engine and do blow out a lot of smoke. A new diesel filter and several blasts up to the red line cleared it for me but you may need to spray some oven cleaner up the exhaust into the turbo to clean it out.
They are lovely cars and I hope that you can resolve this.
Barry

Hi Barry,

I appreciate your follow up after all this time.

Unfortunately, we have still not resolved the problem and in fact the car will no longer fire at all.

Since my original post we have done the following:

• Replaced the fuel pressure solenoid (tried 3 of them)

• Replaced the injectors

• Replaced the EGR

• Replaced the turbo pipes

• Rebuilt the turbo

It appears now that the high pressure fuel pump has probably died.

I’m afraid I have completely lost interest in it as a car and will most likely be scrapped, as I have no intention of spending anymore time or money on it.

It is a shame as they are nice cars, but my experience has been a truly woeful one.

Have the hoses or gaskets been checked, since something
is changing and getting worse ?

Walter