Power Distribution Help....XJ6

So with the tape cut back we have been able to identify the colors of all the wires. As the relay everything was black from dirt, oil, old tape etc. Cut back about a foot and all colors are showing. Getting better…

thats the way to do things, dont panic, step-by-step, STUDY the circuit diagram.

A Continuity Tester that beeps, an assistant and paper tape will start narrow down whats what

There is a website that shows how all Lucas relays work, and it also allows you to figure wiring in a modern relay (if the original is missing)

at least its not a computerised engine & harness!

Just for the record Rob - brown wires are permanently powered, and unfused…

The thick wire to the ign switch is most likely power supply to the ign switch - the thin brown is likely powered with the ing to ‘off’. This was used when the ‘anti run-on’ were fitted - but may of course be used for other purposes in cases you want something to run with ign ‘off’…

As an aside; you can verify if a wire is powered by pushing a needle through the insulation - as a crude test when the connections are not readily avaqilable…or unknown…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Getting there. great.

Look on the engine side of the fire wall. On a LHD drive car, you should see a cable from battery + to a post on the fire wall. That post should also have a big cable to the big post on the starter solenoid It matters not, if it is a Jaguar starter or GM starter. Same function Similat architecture.

And, a cable from that fire wall post across to the opposite side to a similar post.

As Frank says, this is “brown” sourced power. Unfused and always hot. Good but, care needed.

Caveat;

Diode/s needed???

Carl

Hi Rob, The S1 bumper hangs below the turn signal;

Cheers Robin

What’s the name of the website that you’re saying I can get these diagrams for these relays from it would be very helpful

Or for the matter and it would be really helpful if anybody could help me with this wiring diagram or these wires cuz basically all I have left in not sure at all where any of these relays bugging out of the series 2 1972 xj6 with a small block Chevy 350