Power Steering Fluid Capacity 1961 3.4 MKII

Hello,

I’ve given up looking through the Service Manual for the fluid capacity for the power steering, so would someone just tell me please!:weary:

It’s the original equipment for the car.

Cheers,

Tim

Not wishing to sound flippant but how about to just under the reservoir cap, allowing room for expansion?

Hello Robin,

Thank you for the suggestion, however, it would still be helpful to know the volume of fluid the system holds, something the Service Manual doesn’t mention.

Tim

Fill level just to the top of the filter. Capacity = reservoir + box + pump + flow pipe + return pipe = at a guess about 3 pints / 1.5 litres. Buy a gallon so as to have plenty to compensate for the leaks in the standard system…

JCC

Thank you JCC.

I bought two litres of power steering fluid to be on the safe side, guessing the capacity of the system to be about 1 1/2 litres as you said.

I just seems odd that all the fluid capacities of every other system are listed in the Service Manual but not that of the power steering?

Cheers,

Tim

If there is a reason for it not being noted, I would venture it was because of the steering boxes – if the Burman type (which were crap when new) they went through so many variants in a short production run likely nobody knew what capacity to list. I met a Burman apprentice – 40 years later with his own successful steering box / rack / pump company in Birmingham UK and the advice was save yourself – fit one of his modified XJS racks – I did and that quarterly swap box is a thing of the past. At one time I had three boxes on the go; one on (about to leak), one off (resealed and ready to go) and a spare in need of re-sealing. Got the swap job down to 45 minutes after a few attempts…