Power steering fluid leak and percolating

I had a massive leak occurring suddenly from the hose connection to the top of the pump. Recently had the steering rack replaced and suspect the hose was not reconnected properly. The hose clamp was loose and it looked like the hose could have been pushed on to the receiver at least another inch. I tightened the clamp but could not push the hose on further. Refilled and test drove 1.5 miles. Checked on my return. No leak but when I looked into the reservoir while engine idling it was percolating in there. I assumed it was air working out of the system. But got thinking maybe this is something Else that may be causing the leak (bad pump?) I shut it down and a few minutes later all the fluid came out at the same connection. I’ll try again tomorrow to get a proper fitting of the hose, but any thoughts on the bubbling in the reservoir

“Swirling” of the fluid is normal in a PS pump when it is turning. Even the low pressure line will leak if not tightened properly. Air should burp out after a few lock-to -lock excursions.

1 Like