Power steering fluid leak on my 1989 XJS

oh ive never reversed onto the ramps, for that i winched the car up onto the ramps. couldnt trust myself.

If you have ramps with hydraulic lifter - it’s easy to pair them with axle stands. Then you can remove the ramp and put them back again. No effort and always nice safety feature…

how much are these? i doubt i could afford them but it would be nice to have. see, im soon to be getting a 63’ lincoln continental and a few other cars from an abandoned ford dealership in nh

Ian, if you are speaking to me, these are at least 50 years old. I bought them as a young lad to work on my first vehicle. I think they were 25.00 for the pair at the time. They have served me well on the vehicles that would roll up in them. I had a 1985 XJ6 which fit perfectly.

I find that trying to drive up and back off of ramps to be too exciting for me, although I did that many years ago.:grimacing: Now when I
put one of our Jaguars up on ramps I raise the front and/or rear of the car off the ground with a large floor trolley jack and then place the ramps beneath the tires/wheels. I find this method much more civilized.:blush:
This is much like when I raise one of the Jaguars and put them up on jack stands. There are advantages and disadvantages of using of ramps (2 or 4) and/or jack stands (2 or 4) depending on the work required. Sometimes I use a combination of ramps and jack stands.

I never trust working beneath a car to just the tire changing jack for obvious safety reasons.

Paul

I have the plastic ramps, and they work well. But I’ve noticed, being a rear wheel drive, my XJS pushes them instead of pulls up on them like my front wheel drive cars. So I’ve had to buy some rubber matting to put under them so they don’t slide on the concrete when trying to go up them.

I only use them on the rear when jacking up the car. There is not enough clearance for the back to driv e up on them.

not sure if i would trust such old metal ramps. They look a bit rusty.

I also love the idea someone here recommended on using hockey pucks on the two jacking points behind front wheels. I’ve ordered two, just need to drill them a bit.

In UK those were £98 including delivery. That includes bottle jack and all the bits not visible on the picture above.
So, one minor repair completed yourself - and the cost is returned.
Load capacity is advertised as 5ton… And it looks like 5ton easily.

1 Like

Rust builds character!

1 Like

oh no sorry i was talking about the hydrolic ones, sorry for the mix up

I tried fixing my leaky PS by nearly dropping the rack to install a new high pressure line.
After about two full days under the car in my driveway I found that all it needed was tightening the low pressure line clamp at the cooler.