Power Steering noisy

Our 61 Mk 2 has a new steering box , hoses , a complete makeover . Power steering pump is noisy on occassion. Filter looks clean , new fluid . Car has done 700 miles after new engine rebuild .
Looking for solutions .

Kim R.

Try running it with the filter removed. It may look clean but could still be a flow restriction. The pump will whine if it has nothing flowing in it.

It could be a couple of things. Under what condition does it make the noise? Could you make a recording of it?

Is the genny pivot bolt tight?
Does the return hose have the spiral installed?
Filter?
Belt?

Andrew,
Don’t know what the spiral is .

Kim R.

Rob
Noise disappears at higher rpm. Fluid and filter are both new .

Kim R.

Kim,

There is a galvanized steel spiral inside the suction line to the pump, to stop it collapsing.

Andrew,
Our car has just been through a $12000 mechanical refresh . Will check with the guy who did it to see if the spiral was put back into the new lines . This guy , an Aussie friend is very particular and an expert with Jags .
Car had a Kenlowe which I am taking out as the car runs cool and I think actually blocks air more than helps . As mentioned noise is only noticeable at low RPM .

Kim R.

Andrew_Waugh 
  October 14  

Kim,

There is a galvanized steel spiral inside the suction line to the pump, to stop it collapsing.

Took out our MK 2 today , took off the cap to the power steering resovoir and drove turning lots of corners . Hopefully to bleed any air out of the system . It seemed to work with the whine disapearing . Put cap back on all is well at this time .
Hopefully this cures the problem .

Kim R

Update to Noisy power steering pump. Went out again today , power steering whine starts . Came home took out the new filter and all is quiet again . Filter I guess made to different specs and caused the problem . Any body else have the same experience ?

Kim R
61 Mk 11
05 XJ8L
012 XK convertible