Power steering pump belt

Hi there!
While I was replacing the CPS harness on my '70 XJ-S, I had to remove the accessory belt and move the power steering pump back out of the way. The adjusting nut had a very limited amount of travel available to release tension on the belt before it ran out of threads. About 3/4 " of threads to work with. After I had exhausted what little travel there was, the belt was still too tight to remove. I don’t know how anyone got it on there in the first place.!
I wound up cutting it off and getting a new one from my local Napa parts house that was supposed to be the right part. It turned out to be the exact same length as the one I cut off. What am I missing here? Is it possible that my parts house and the PO’s parts house both have the same wrong parts number on file, or is there some secret way to install and remove the belt I have. The new belt I got is a Napa- 25 -9425.
I am prepared to go exchange my new belt for one that is a couple of inches longer. There is 4-5 " of tensioning adjustment available.
Any opinions or insight would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Michael

Hi there again!
The XJ-S in question is a '90, not a '70, as I reported above.
Michael

Michael,

“While I was replacing the CPS harness on my '70 XJ-S, I had to remove the accessory belt and move the power steering pump back out of the way.”

Is there a typo or two in there? First, there’s no such thing as a 1970 XJ-S. The earliest was 1976 US model year and it had no Crank Position Sensor.

I’ve never had a problem with adjustment range of belt sizes. Sure you have the belts in the right grooves?

Ed Sowell

'76 XJ-S coupe, red

http://www.efsowell.us

I am prepared to go
exchange my new belt for one that is a couple of inches longer.

The only thing I can add is to remember that the engine moves around a bit
on its soft rubber motor mounts. Don’t adjust the power steering pump SO
far out that it starts banging against the fender well.

– Kirbert

Hi Ed!"
'70 was a mistake on my part, which I tried to address in a subsequent
post. It’s a '90.
As far as having the belts in the right grooves, this is the first
time I have tampered with them since I have owned the car. I specified
power steering accessory belt when I went to the parts house and the
one they gave me is the same length as the one I had to cut off. I
will check the grooves to see if I can come up with any explanation
for this issue.
Thank you for your input!
Michael