Power steering pump mounting

Dear E Lovers,
I have a 1970 2+2 4.2 L. Three weeks ago we finally put the engine back in after 10 years. I am reinstalling things like the alternator, air conditioning compressor and the power steering pump. I have figured out everything but the power steering pump. It has got me stumped. The pump is a cylindrical pump with the fluid canister separate and mounted on the frame. The pump is mounted on a flat plate that has a single bolt hole on one side and a tension adjustment slot on the other side. For the life of me I can’t figure out how it is mounted. I’m wondering if I am missing another mounting component. I took pictures many years ago when I disassembled but every thing was so greasy that everything looks the same. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

Alf

Alf;
When push comes to shove we all could use more pictures. Here are a few of mine, hope they help.1-008
This photo shows the bottom bolt, the tensioning bolt, and also shows the poor access to pictures. The ‘bar’ in front of the PS pump is the top rail of the picture frame.
2-009
This shows the A/C bracket that fastens on top of the PS pump and again obscures the pump.
3-010
This is a side photo of the engine and shows the A/C bracket. Just under the bracket you can see the back of the PS pump and to the front the pulley and belt for the PS pump is visible.
4-016
This is the PS pump. You can plainly see the mounting plate, one hole in the upper corner and the ‘tensioning’ slot in the lower corner.
From your description I think you have what you need once you find your bolts and the holes to put them in.

Regards, Joel.

Hi Joel, Thanks so much for the photos. Yes this is the exact PS pump I have. Can you bolt the pump on before you put on the air conditioning compressor bracket or does the pump need the bracket to bolt on to?
Alf

Alf;
As I remember you can bolt the PS pump on before the A/C bracket, if my memory has served me poorly it is a simple problem to correct.
Good luck.

Regards, Joel.

…and I seem to remember the opposite, so try both. It’s raining outside in the 5am dark or I would go look.
LLoyd, touring with the oil leakers…

Thank you so much for the help.

Alf

Hi its just Alf about the power steering pump mounting again. I was looking though my old photos again and I almost skipped over a photo that had a long bolt with a tube over it which is about 2 bolts up from the oil pan. I have a feeling that I am missing this part. When I put the upper bolt, which I think is the right place, the lower adjustment slot is just hanging in mid air. It is around this location. Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the lower adjustment slot has this long tube and bolt. Wow what a brain twister for me. When the motor came back after rebuild there was just a short bolt in this location.

Thanks Alf

yes, there is one with a long bolt and tube on the A/C and P/S equipped cars, I have the same setup and recall it. but its been about 4 or 5 years since I had it all apart. As I seem to remember you have to mount the PS pump and the AC bracket at the same time. but the bolt you mention is in there, how exactly it goes together escapes me right now.

I am trying to search and see if I have a picture

Wow this all make sense now. I have restored this car all myself except motor and differential and this one hurt my brain. Something so simple. I can’t thank all of you enough for your help. You are all the greatest.

Alf

This is the photo with the tube and bolt.
I’m not a great computer guy I hope I got the picture to work.

Alf