Power Steering rack removal

The oil filter must must come out. Along with heat sheilds. Heat sheilds on both sides…

Standing or laying under the car, I found it best to leave the arms attached to the hub assembly, pull back the innermost boots on the rack. Under the boots you will find one of two types of connectors, you’ll know them when you see them, and don’t worry, the boots are easy to place back.

Take a large spanner or adjustable wrench and take off the steering arms at the rack end. For this, it is DEFINITELY better to position the rack so you can get the lower to bolts loosely BACK into the subframe (I understood you had removed them already) to HOLD the rack in place as you leverage the large arm to rack bolts loose. Leaving the arms in place will also make things easier on re assembly. You attach the arms to hold the weight of the rack while you work to position the rack to subframe bolts. The arms are your friend here.

Once the rack is loose from the arms, pull the the two helper bolts from the subframe and you SHOULD have enough slack to pull the rack down to get to the hose fittings and couplers on TOP of the tower… If NOT, loosen the return hose at the PSteering pump (or the cooler - I can’t remember) and THEN (important) remove the two fiddly clip/clamp fasteners that hold the high pressure line to the FRONT of the subframe. The steel hose with the graceful, lol, bend in it’s shape…

Then, you should be good to GO…

On reassembly (a bit of a monster) leave that front hose that is clamped to the subframe LOOSE until last. ((((Even better, attach the high pressure line to the tower and rack FIRST and snake it thru to the front UNDER the downpipes where possible???) Connect your lines, then the pinch bolt to the steering while EVERYTHING is hanging from the steering arms. Then fix last 3 bolts. Makes life “easy”, lol… It’s a tough job and a good right of passage, I say! Great views, haha

Finding the leaks and fixing them ain’t easy - either. But you’ll be auight!!!

Brother… You’re doing great… Seriously!