Power Steering Reservoir (Hobourn Eaton type?)

Evening all,

Just trying to understand structure of the power steering reservoir. There is a very minor loss of fluid which may be from the top of the low-pressure hoses or possibly the reservoir itself. I have seen a diagram showing two unions (with o ring) into base of the alloy mounting piece, and then two o rings on the top of the mounting block, but how does the reservoir fix to the mounting block? I do have a spare somewhere but for the life me of cannot find it.

From Left to right:

Cast Al Mount (with O-rings)
Two spigots, threaded into bottom of mount
Sheet metal bent into a “Tube” inserted into top of offcenter hole in mount
Reservoir “Bowl”.
Clamping plate
Spreader/filter base
Spigot, threaded through spreader, clamping plate, bowl, into base.

Marvellous, thank you Andrew. I shall study carefully.

JCC

“Sheet metal bent into a “Tube” inserted into top of offcenter hole in mount” - That looks a likely source of a minor leak; is that the return inlet?

Yes, it’s the return (I think so). All that bit does is locate the hole on the clamping plate.

The seal is done just with the one central spigot, that clamping plate is about 3/16 thick iirc.

If the orings are hardened, or the bottom of the bowl is damaged, then you’ll get leaks.

There’s also a paper gasket ring between the bowl and the lid.

When I was taking mine apart, one thing that ran through my mind was that it was designed to leak.

I second that.

If I can find the spare I’ll refurbish that one (with a not a little silicone gloop to add to the party) then do a swap, otherwise I’ll leave it - the loss is very minor.

The central union (in the reservoir, under the filter) may get a tweak first though.

JCC.