Power steering Series 2

Hi guys,

I am after a bit of help re power steering on my Series 2

I am putting a XJ6 engine in my E Type, the car is a LHD with power rack.
The car was dismantled when I got it, included in the box of parts was a power steering pump.
I am struggling to understand how this is mounted on the engine, and if in fact it is the correct pump for the car.
Looking around the web it would seem it is the correct pump, but I am not 100% certain.

The car originally had air con but I am not refitting this, so would like to mount the power pump and alternator on the left hand side of the engine, if this is where they are normally fit.
I have found pictures of the alternator mounting bracket, but for the life of me cannot find any pictures of the power steering pump mounting.

I have found a few pictures on this site that suggests it fits below the alternator on the left hand side, but cannot find any pictures of the mounting.
Does anyone know how it is mounted? does it have a bracket or does it bolt direct to the engine?

Does anyone know the belt arrangement, does it use one belt for alternator and pump or is there a separate belt for each?

Any help much appreciated!

thanks

Peter

Do any of these help?

Hi Michael,

many thanks for this, looking at the picture it looks ;like it bolts into the bottom bolt on the water pump?

Do you know it has a separate belt from the alternator?

I am trying to mount my alternator above it, not in front of the engine as in your picture

thanks

Peter

Peter,

the bracket bolts to the waterpump, the belt comes directly from the crank pulley. At least on my car. The bolt is longer than the other waterpump bolts so check that one bolt for length.

Martin

I have a/c so it‘s really tight for getting a good picture.

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for this.

Will check mine and see if I can mount it that way

thanks

Peter

Hi Guys,

I have just looked again at my mounting, I think I maybe missing a pulley on the water pump.

Do you know if it should have a double pulley on the water pump so the power pump is driven from the crank pulley and the alternator is driven from the water pump pulley only, does this sound correct? (if I mount the alternator above the power pump and not in front of the engine)

thanks

Peter

IMG_6834

Hmmm… Here is a pulley shot from my factory A/C & power steering car

Hi Michael/ Martin

I can now see my problem, I need a twin pulley arrangement on the water pump.

many thanks for your help

Peter