Practical Advice, Please: Vacuum Hoses

Hello, All:
Re: 1992 XJS 5.3L V12 Vacuum Hoses
Prefatory comment hear to explain (Seek forgiveness ?) for the remedial enquiry, here.
It’s been a long time since I been seriously turning wrenches on my cars so, the garage is not equipped with the usual odds & ends accrued over time. An assortment of various diameters of vacuum hose is among that missing handy stuff. There nearest auto parts store is a chain store 18.4 miles away with a pleasant, wide-smile “we can order that for you” attitude.
So…, I come, humbly, seeking the collective practical wisdom.
For vacuum hoses connecting to the engine et al, may I ask, please, for recommendations of hose sizes and clamps, I should stock up on ? ( Ugh. My English language teachers must be cringing.)
Ah, and clamps - Any recommendations on “hose friendly” clamps and sources for bulk quantities ?
I think you recognise where I’m coming from - Working on the car. I need to reach up to a shelf and lay a hand on the needed consumable.
Thank you.
Regards,
R. Cielec
Greater metro Chicago, Illinois; U.S.A.

Richard, the largest hose you will need is 3/8, for the PCV valve. Work down from there. 5/16, 1/4, 3/16 should take care of everything else. I like “Koolance” spring clamps, available on Amazon. Avoid “Dorman” spring clamps. There are one or two vacuum hoses that change sizes from one component to another, so hose adaptors are handy to have around.
(Hopefully your '92 and my '88 engines are not too different.)

Mcmaster-Carr has a good selection of spring clamps, too.

1 Like

Years ago I went to the auto store and bought ten feet of 1/4, 3/8, and 5/16. More recently I ordered silicon hose over Internet.

I like Norma clamps…the Torro model…ordered on line. Google for them.

Hello, All:
Thanks.
No metric sizes, then. Good to know.
Regards,
Richard Cielec

I like silicone vacuum hoses, they last longer and deal better with heat. You can pick sizes and colors. Easy to find online at decent costs.

Hello,
On-line, eh ? Just search “silcone vacuum hose” ?
Colours ? Oh no: that will mean pre-planning on my part. And, I may get hung-up looking for the right colour barb-connector to compliment the hose. Ha !
The needs of the XJS are starting to drag me kicking & screaming into the realms of eBay and Amazon.
Thank you.
Regards,
Richard Cielec

I bought silicone through Amazon. Quick and easy