Pre HE 5.3 Crankshaft Sensor

My 1976 Pre He XJC has an aftermarket ECU fitted and uses a locked distributor as a crankshaft sensor. A camshaft sensor has been installed in the right bank to tell the ECU when the engine is at TDC on number 1 cyl.

The current system works OK but it would be better if there was a dedicated crank sensor with more pulses going to the ECU.

So can a latter engine crank sensor be retro fitted to the pre HE engine or installing something like a trigger wheel and sensor to the front pulley. Has anyone done this on their V12.

Thanks

Garry

Many options depending on what your aftermarket ECU will handle! The flywheel sensor holder from a Marelli car will bolt right onto a TH400 and they are still available new… but does your 76 have a Borg Warner? Maybe if it does you could fabricate something. Marelli cars used two sensors because there is no missing tooth on a flywheel! So a second sensor was up front on the crank, and that used a three legged device bolted to back of the crank damper. The very last 6.0 XJ12 Denso cars had a sensor hole drilled into the cam shaft cover. The Mobeck ECU kit uses only one sensor, and a custom made gapped plate bolted behind the front damper too, but many more teeth than Marelli, and with a missing tooth. Mobeck includes a little mount to replace the crank degree wheel that holds the sensor for non Marelli cars.

Thanks John - I have a BW 12 auto in my car. By the sound of it I might be better fitting a 32-1 trigger wheel and sensor behind the front damper as Mobeck have done.