Pre-HE or HE advice

Hello, I’m new to posting on this forum, I had some questions about HE and pre-HE v12’s. I am not sure if this is the right section to post in. Ok so I am planning on building a 5.3 with a 5 -speed for a series 1 XJ6 swap, I don’t need crazy power, but I would like to see around 300-320hp at the wheels , My question is, do you think it is worth trying to find a Pre-HE motor due to their potential to make more power, or can my power figures be achieved just as easily with the HE motor? Some details about what I plan to do, I am going to be running an MS2 V3.0 controlling fuel with bank fire and maybe ignition on wasted spark, I plan on putting either a Getrag or a Tremec 5-speed behind it. I am swapping it into a series 1 XJ6. Again sorry if this is not in the right section.

Possible with an H.E. but probably easier with a pre-H.E.

Excuse the newbie question, but would you be able to convert an HE to a Pre-HE motor down the road if I want to make more power? I am doing this on a little bit of a budget (i know, budgets and v12’s dont mix well) what would be most cost effective way to wake up either the HE or pre-he. Thanks!

There wouldn’t be any point to such a conversion. You’d be better off just swapping engines. The pistons, heads, and several other items are different.

Cams. You might be able to find an outfit that can regrind the original camshafts to your specification.

Ok, thanks for the info! I think that Its probably best to go pre-H.E. in the first place then. would be correct in saying that you can rev out the pre-h.e. motor higher i.e. 7500?

The problem with revving a Jaguar V12 to 7500 isn’t with the engine, it’s with the torque converter – but if you’re going with a 5-speed you won’t have a torque converter, so you’re good to go.

I recommend an aluminum flywheel with an iron friction face. The Jaguar steel flywheel is waaaay too heavy.

Ok, cool. It’s going to take a while for me to acquire all the parts (im still in college). but hopefully in a couple years time I will have it all together! thanks for the help and quick replies!