Pretty in Pink (My newest XJ) like I needed another one

Yep it has arrived :smiley:
'72 XJ6

!
Came with documentation too Not shown are the receipts from the beginning, also has the metal plate for passport service. It had Dayton wires on them but the PO sold them. damn it

4 Likes

Very pretty indeed.

David

Looks like a nice unmolested example. Is this your first Series 1?

Yes it is my first Series I; It’s kind of molested. The interior is out of a X308 – white. The back seat looks comfy if you don’t have legs. There’s some of the typical stuff on the inside – wood needs redone; the plastic gear select and fuzzy stuff are missing. Carpets are gone. It’s been jacked up from the bottom of the car, so the foot wells are bent.

There’s rust around the wheel arches, the head liner is sagging.

It doesn’t run, it quits when you put it into gear. (twin Stromberg’s) The A/C compressor doesn’t work, the fuel cooler is there but disconnected. The wiring has definitely been molested. But it’s a Series I.

I’m so Chuffed!

I still think the Series III is the best drivers car.

1 Series I

1 Series II

2 Series III

Very cool…seems like a typical S1. The back seat legroom is OK if the front seat passengers have no legs. If your rear seat cushion is X308 (or S3 or XJ40) the rear leg room is even worse than that provided with the S1 seat cushion. Wood is at least able to be de-varnished with paint stripper, unlike later cars that used polyester. You don’t need the fuel cooler. Other stuff doesn’t sound scary.

Congratulations!

All of the seating is from a X308; I have an extra interior for a Series III that I was hoping to put in the Series I or take the interior out of my series II and put in the series I and put the Series III interior in the series II. Being my Series II is a Short Wheel Base; then I’m probably up to the same issue.

Looks spectacular to me! Congrats!

Poverty plates can be had at reasonable prices.

Get it running, Mark - and you will be even more chuffed, it’s indeed an eyeful…:slight_smile:

Colour cannot possibly be original Jaguar (?), an imperfect respray may account for the traces of rusting…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Not lumped though - as many are! Mine is a Feb '72 RHD so might be able to help with pictures etc. Paul

Awesome, thank you. I saved this car from being lumped.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Nope not lumped. From what i can tell its just the interior, and some mechanical bits. A lot of similarities between‎ the series 1 and 2 at least my series 2.

I have always loved the look of the Series I. I will order carb rebuild kits for the strombergs. I figure the diaphragms are messed up.

Ahhhh, but I want to know if “The Total Driving Experience” was still in the glovebox. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sweet, Mark!

Not This one, it doesn’t even have a tape deck - factory “Jenson” radio though. Very cool! I don’t listen the radio much anyway cause I’m cause I’m always listening for something to fall off the car.

1 Like

The familiar tingling as something drops off. Reminds me of the bumper sticker…“All parts falling off this car are of the finest English workmanship” my Triumph TR7 had a tendency to drop 1 transmission mount bolt…and lose the finger loop on the oil dip stick…much less the intermittent headlights…driving down the road at night…hit a bump and have the headlights retract.

Knock on wood…I’ve never knowingly lost anything off any of my Jaguars.

Cheers

Gary

1 Like

I’ve lost both u-joint covers on the Series II. Driving down the road taking my daughter to High School She’s “proud of the Series II” waving to her friends, when a big BOOM! tinkle tinkle, look out the back window to see the ujoint cover bounding down the road behind me.

My daughter looks at me like SERIOUSLY, DAD COULD YOU EMBARASS ME ANY MORE!?, as she slid down the seat out of sight, which in a SWB is quite the feat.

I pull into the school parking lot to retrieve the what I could of the mangled u joint covers. I’m in the center of the road an arms length away from collecting the liberated bits, when the school bus turns into a paper thin copy of what was once the u-joint covers.

3 Likes

That’s a beautiful Series 2. The SWBs were very rare in my parts of the country…I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. Never saw a LWB Series 1, either.

Speaking of losing parts, the motors tend to fall out of Corvairs. I keep a steel cable wrapped around my rear mount. That’s the main mechanical problem; the most common cosmetic problem was ugly skid marks on the roof of the coupes. I’ve never had worries about that because I own a convertible. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Circa 47, I and school chum and T guru Billy, and I decided to have some fun.

We went to downtown El Paso in my T . A trip around “Alligator Plaza”. the real things had a pond there. Sans floor boards in my car. A hole in a spare exhaust pipe and a box of assorted junky parts. Billy riding shot gun shot oil in tot he exhaust for a lot of smoke and dropped bits and pieces out the bottom. I drove with my most nonchalant expression…

Carl

2 Likes

When I first got the Series II It was a trade for series III suspension, which in the long run, I think they got the better deal.

I’ve dumped thousands into this car, not to mention just with normal driving, the car is rotting away. I keep a supply of sheet metal on hand just to keep the car together. It is lovely from a distance, but up close it’s a pup. If you look closely You’ll see the front door doesn’t match the body line; the bonnet doesn’t shut properly, the head liner is a mess, and the boot leaks miserably. The summer routine was chasing rust. I think there’s more new metal in the car than original. It’s sad.

I’ve learned so damned much on this forum in only a week but tonight, the lesson is that I have GOT to get that bumper sticker.

1 Like