Pretty in Pink (My newest XJ) like I needed another one

British car inspired bumper stickers:

“All parts falling off this car are of the finest English workmanship”

" I never thought i could be an auto mechanic, until i owned a British sports car"

“Why do the British enjoy warm beer? Their refrigeration systems are made by Lucas”

“Lucas, the inventor of intermittent windshield wipers, intermittent generators, intermittent starters, and intermittent headlights”

Anybody else have others?

1 Like

" Lucas - prince of darkness" springs to mind…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

I believe they did have a pink in S1, but that car appear to be a clear-over-base, so it would be a respray, as the original was a non-metallic solid color

The color is a clear over base a solid base coat with a metallic clear / a pearl. the base could be original, but I don’t think it is. I haven’t had time to look at the trim code to see what color it was born with.

I’ll scream if it’s white, or black

There was a pink, available.
pink%20series%20I
Like I mentioned I think, I’ve got a buddy who worked at Jaguar during this time and they’d get a lot of mileage out of the Pink Jaguar’s rolling across the assembly line.

I can’t find the color code, but the color was called something “Heather”, ANYWAY my XJ document set has all of the trim color years except '72-'75 go figure. I’m pretty sure that it was a custom one or two off color set. Like Mary Kay.

Franks comment about the rust I completely missed the huge scratch / rust on the door. If the color underneath is any indication of a standard color, then the standard color was “Pale Primrose” which is like chevy’s butternut yellow, or essentially the color of butter.

I can’t find the trim code on the car either.

Hahaha!!

Thanks for sharing.

Hey looks wonderful! Well done.

The body seams and stance appear spot on…very important.

Rotate or replace those tires.
Goto ebay …now…and get the 4 set of hub caps listed for the s1 xj6 at $50 before i do…

The s1 is very much a sport saloon. F the rear seat passenger’s legs and head i say!
Fellow desigbers questioned Lyons regarding the haedroom, but he was dead set on those lines above all.

Interesting trivia, he also made it a point and priority to make the doors high enough and seats low enough so the seats would not be seen while viewed from exxterior profile.

Also 72 was last year of that particular Lyons touch on the trunk latch, making light come from bumper.
Those little wings recall the xk roadsters imho.

Pity the front seats are from the x308. The rear original?
That’s going to be the most tricky bit and expense for you.
I have seen some s1 xj6 seats available occasionally online on e b a y…and dyeing isn’t difficult.

Nothing else looks right but original seats imho.

72 is a great year…the last year prior to Lyons’ retirement.

Also, well, fwiw, though i am of same mindset of repairing/restoring well, i am beginning to learn to try and hold off.
Depends on your funds, but remember although these cars are very reasonable to restore compared to other exotics, things may and usually do come up later that were unexpected.

Point, i have redone several su and stromberg carbs. Almost always required only refinish and elbow grease.

Personally i have never come across a split diaphragm.
I soak them and other rubber parts in brake fluid a couple days or so, completely rejuvinates them if in otherwise ok condition, no weak or cracking areas…

My .02 is, as example, while i hv all apart to paint/detail, removed otherwise good alternator, fan, i really want to upgrade to elec fan and therefore new higher output alternator.etc etc.

But i haven’t really had her running yet, although i know mechanics all. good, i do KNOW i hv no brakes, KNOW i need upper/lower ball joints replaced, need to drop rear end…door panels and seat stitching, etc

My thought fwiw is simply to take it slow and try to tame that new car excitement ordering a bunch of parts beforehand.
It’ll save you a lot buying only what you know you need.

Nothing wrong with what you’re doing of course, as i am in same situation w similar condition s1 xj6, i am beginning to appreciate this new found mantra of mine.
It really does save $

FWIW
All the best

PS
Keep us posted with things u come across. Always helpful to hear/see others experiences.

I’m not seeing the poverty caps. I’m looking as we speak.

hub caps - Done,
Thank you for the tip! I have a couple sets of Kent wheels as well as Starfish. When I saw the car for the first time, it Dayton’s wires The bugger sold them; I told him to get them back for me! We’ll see. There’s a bunch of extra stuff in the boot and the back seat. stuff like

• Complete dash with gauges and switches
  • A clock,
  • Complete Console Finishers
  • Ash trays
  • two steering wheels (one wood)
  • two pair of tail lights, one solid Yellow and the other Solid Red, not split like on my Series II
  • carpets and kick panel vent thingy but leaver is missing.
  • the center of the plastic steering wheel is broken,
  • a couple lights bulbs
  • 5.25 headlight finishers both sides. I was hoping for the 7"
  • Oh, and some rusted chrome pealing Poverty caps.

Thank you for the history lesson on the car. I was so happy it’s a S1 car rust and all. The pink is growing on me. I might even keep it that color lol.

1 Like

I have the Dayton wires (60 spoke). I like wire wheels (have true centrelocks on two other cars), although most people I know don’t. The Daytons are 7 inch and retain the factory offset and they fit perfectly (all good). And they are strong enough for the S1 (don’t need the later 70 spoke). But they are heavy (70s are heavier).

If I had the money I would fit proper centrelock hubs (like E-type) and look for lighter weight wires to fit–preferably 17 inch to allow more modern tyres, and alloy-rimmed. Dayton will make them for you, as will Borrani of course.

I have the Dayton‎ 72 spoke on my S3 I love the look, I’m not a huge fan of the up keep

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Ah that’s great…it’s always nice to find treasures in the trunk, etc. Appears you lucked out!

Purchased mine sight unseen. Did notice slight issue to rear bumper, later confirmed, someone rear ended it, center section of bumper deformed sadly as otherwise chrome perfect.

What a wonderful gift it was to find a purchased spare wrapped up in the trunk!

Sorry, perhaps should hv sent you that info directly.
Anyway, happy for you.

I love the colors of these cars during that time.
Door panel removed i see mine was purple, Roman Purple to be exact per helpful info here.

So cool as I’ve lived in Italy many years, heart still there…

Repainted black by PO.
Intend to keep/repaint it so due to simplicity/expense, it makes it look very menacing and sporting too.

Ease of touchups/detailing, and I’m a por15 fanatic anyway, use on every damn thing, trunk in its entirety, shock mounts, engine bay etc etc for protection.

Anyway…!! I can go on and on w these damn cars.
All the best

Good to know about the POR 15, I’ve seen youtube videos about it, but I haven’t had a chance to use it. I’m going to need some help and advice on how to use it.

Good to know about the POR 15, I’ve seen youtube videos about it, but I haven’t had a chance to use it. I know that I’m going to need it for the Series II and the Series I. I’m a bit concerned about the trying to recreate the contour of the wheel arch. I’d be open for suggestions on this one. I haven’t had to fix a rusty Jag wheel arch on the American stuff I’d just cut it out, and replace with new metal from a donor. This going to be a bit more difficult seeing that I’ll be hard pressed to do since donor are a bit hard to come by.

1 Like

There is a fellow in Blackfoot Idaho that deals in used Jag stuff who may be able to help you. Sorry I don’t have the contact info.
Phillip

I looked it up, and well is a bit out of my price range. I’ve got kids in college, and a Jag habit. :wink:

here’s all of the extra stuff that come with the car, including a front and back windscreens.
I don’t have any experience with the Series I so some of this stuff, I don’t know where it goes.

!
Like these black things. They look like shelves and it looks like it goes under the steering wheel, but my knees would hit them .
The plastic cover over the horn bar is broken, does anybody have an extra? Canister oil filter? in '72?

Is that a Jaguar Steering wheel? the horn says jaguar, but it doesn’t look like one to me.

WP_20180421_017|690x390

What’s missing under here? A cover. That I figured out by myself. The Series II and III covers don’t fit. Do I have the cover that goes over this wiring mess? and what are these knobs for.

I like the look of wire wheels so much this is it’s home. This tire has never been mounted on the a car, the waxy film is still on the wheel.

Some of the bits in the photos appear to be duplicate parts for what you already have on the car. The panel that fits under the steering column is top right in your first photo. These “trays” and bits will come up really well with a clean and replacement of the moth-eaten fabric with a nice short napp black felt stuck on with fabric adhesive. When I can figure out how to post pics I will upload a couple for any areas you’re not sure about.

Frankie