Problem related to Tachometer

Hello everyone,
I have an issue with the tachometer in my 1985 XJ 12 Saloon: When I start the car the tachometer doesn’t work. Every second Watch Movies Online time I use the car the tachometer suddenly CyberGhost starts working after 5 miles or more. Then it will be fine for the rest of this particular drive. Until next time. Any suggestions?
I thank you kindly smile:…

Rakesh,

you may try, next time it fails to operate, to simply knock on the glass. In my car it typically helps in the occasional situations of malfunction - no clue as to where these Lucas electrons get stuck at times …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

yes, rap on the glass,if it instantly springs to life, big chance the needle bush needs clean & lube

I have recently been thru this issue with another model vehicle that is notorious for stuck needles.
This fixed them

I think you would need to remove the instrument, bezel & glass to get at the needle bush

Those of you who saw the movie, I think it was called “D-Day”, about the invasion of France by allied forces during WW 2, may recall the depiction of a similar fix.

In the movie, a British officer walking along the beach comes upon a small British armored vehicle that had come ashore but apparently had stalled and now would not start. The officer, who was of course, carrying a knurled walking stick, sizes up the situation, walks over to the front of the vehicle and gives it a good wack with his stick, and says to the driver “Try it now”. And of course, the vehicle starts right up and drives away.

I assume the starter in that vehicle was made by the same British company that made the tach in the XJ6.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Lou

I recall that scene, from the movie, “the Longest Day”. An epochal movie of an epochal event!!!

I term it percussion maintenance. Not originated by me, but surely adopted.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL E
Carl