Professional guidance needed restoring my 1 of 90 in USA -1989 XJS Rouge collection e

To start my Endeavor on this Jaguar , first I must repair Or replace The double Morelli coil wires Going to the coils. Any suggestions Would be gratefully appreciated. On this subject, I’m like Sergeant Schultz “I know nothing”. You see while the Jag has been sitting for 15 years some Chipmunks Or squirrels Chewed the wires going to the coils Severing them completely and I am Unable to repair Them.

Please take a picture and post it. I have no idea what these double wires going to the coils are.

Welcome to JL.

1 Like

Hi Steve ! Thanks for responding so quickly. In the photo you can see the two Wires I unplug from the Two coils .

Thank you JL for welcome made me .

I am a Jaguar Lover. Guess you could call me old school I’m 68 years old.

I think if I could find the OEM part number for the Wire That would be the most beneficial .

I see, the critters left a big mess.
Those wires are part of the harness coming from the Marelli ignition amplifiers.

A bank will have 3 wires (one is for the tach), B bank will have only two.

Please refer to the diagram below:

1 Like

I do not think there is a part number for this section of the harness.
The best approach to fix it is to run new wires to the ignition amps.

Where are you located?

Nice! Thank you does your book give the Part number for that Harness?

I am in Toledo Ohio.

There is a very clued up Jag-lover in Cleveland, OH.
Mike has the same model year

Perhaps he can help you fix it (I am not aware of a part number for the harness in question, the connectors are standard - circled - but yours can be reused, just the wires need work)

Paging @mike90

My friend at North Coast Exotics In Cleveland Is the only person who used to work on this Jaguar.

One of those connectors is broken and doesn’t look like that anymore

Thank you for your assistance but I have to go right now I’ll check back in later tomorrow

The connectors you can buy on eBay.

The JDHT (Jaguar Heritage) will allow you to look up parts and numbers. Here are the ignition systems:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/parts/index/hierarchy/id/C03.910.91017.91017228/brand/jaguar/

The connectors (both male and female parts)

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Waterproof-Electrical-Socket-Marine/dp/B06XVFZDYW

1 Like

Steve: kind of you to think of me on this.

Yes, those are the Marelli ignition coil connectors. I think that this can be repaired by soldering new wire segments grafted to the main leg of the harness (along the fuel rail), going to new mating coil connectors. Those wires (like everything polymer in the engine bay) get cooked and age and become brittle anyway, and should be replaced when cracking manifests.

Given that critters have invaded the bay, I’d also recommend replacing the ignition leads- it is likely those are probably chewed in places, too. In any case, they should be inspected.

I am familiar with North Coast Exotics, here in Cleveland. They know as much about the Jag V12 as any.

This problem should be solvable by a local mechanic who is accustomed to wiring problems, though. Be careful to note which of those white wires have black bands vs. brown bands. That is how you know which connector goes to which coil.

Can I ask, why was the car parked, sitting for so many years? Brakes will be the first order of business once you ascertain that the engine will start and run, since it has sat this long. This car has the Bosch ABS TEVES system, early generation, and it is very finicky and does not brook poor maintenance. I am guessing calipers need rebuilding all around, the accumulator ball will likely need to be replaced, and the pressure switch might also need to be replaced. Complete flush of the fluid, and then bleed out of the calipers. Not a bad job, but a fair amount of work. Brakes (esp. rears) on a Jag are always good fun.

If, after getting the engine going, you DO try to drive it, be very careful to ensure you have braking capability (at least SOME braking capability) if you try to move the car under power.

I am about 90 minutes east of our friend in Sylvania, and I could find a time to get out to have a look if this would be of help.

M

1 Like

You may also want to check the continuity of your fuel injector harness in case they did some chewing down there. Or if it’s just died of old age, they go bad with time anyway. I’m currently making a new one as a precaution.

The injector harness consists of 6 wires - two earths, one for each bank. Then one wire for Bank A’s odd numbered cylinders, same for A evens, B odds and B evens. Just check that there is continuity between the connector down the side of A bank, and the injector connectors.

One thing I did on my V12 when I got it over two years ago (it too had sat for about 7 years and had mouse nests in the Vee), I removed cruise control and A/C Compressor. This gave me tons of room to evaluate everything in the Vee. I ended up doing everything. Luckily I had no signs of mouse damage, but I ended up restoring everything (Distributor, all fuel hoses, coil, all wires, all plugs). On this car, you don’t mess around with what’s old in the Vee.

I have yet to put back cruise control and A/C, because I have so much room now and it looks nicer :slight_smile: