Project pics. Almost there

3 Likes

nib,
Please share info on your project. It looks very interesting.

Paul

I’m a one finger typer so this could take some time. Project has been about 14 years in the making. Can’t believe it’s been that long. As I post please feel free to ask.
Just a piece about the current pics. I reupholstered the door panels with alcantera and ultra leather. The door pulls and pockets were bead blasted and dyed in black wood is original ( to be worked on later ). Center console same blast and dye. Seats were a major problem. Had to cut out old seat mounts and weld in new supports to get new seats as low as possible and keep structure safe. Seating area is very narrow so seat selection is limited. my concern was leg room and also seat height. New mount had to be positioned for 5 footer or 6 footer and low when back raised when forward. I think I got pretty close to happy. Dash board is working prototype All gauges work same for switches. No air con at this time. Gauges all come from Speed Hut ( great to deal with ).

Nicely done.
I have an 88 XJ-S coupe project that has been going on for about 9 years. I am shooting for spring to have it done.

1 Like

1 Like

a thought: my good man… should a basic vid be compiled(slideshow style)for some of the highlights of the build? furthermore…i wonder if it could be posted directly here or would the youtube account have to be used?
just looking at the paint makes my wrists and forearms hurt as i realize the amount of elbow grease it took to get it that way.
btw…ask me about the back of the house :slight_smile: =dok=

I have a quite similar project for the stereo install in my V12. The difference being I will be using the parcel shelf from XJS-C/Convertible with the cubbyholes built in, and mounting the amps to be displayed similar to your setup. I got the idea years ago from looking at one of the Aston Martin cars on a dealers lot in LA.

What seats are you using? I have a set of original Recaro Classic C seats sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed.

Amps are 80’s vintage. Where recommended by my Doctor. I plan on having a canvas type cover snap in to place over exposed. Maybe with a nice embordered leaper on it.
As for seats. These are Corbeau A4 ( not wide ). I would like to see if wide would fit but if they didn’t…
I’m 5’10" 200 lbs and they seem to fit pretty good. And I figure being a British car with many modifications I’ll probably be out of the seat often. Only joking Jag folks.

3 Likes

The canvas covering the amps will probably look nice, but it will likely create an overheating :hot_face: issue.

Got ya covered A.J .

1 Like

Nice looking install on the stereo! I see you have a cap, curious what alternator is in the car? I assume you are powering the amps right off of the battery?
thx
Bob

I went through mounting the alt in different locations. Bought GM alt and racket my brain. Found a company that upgrades stock alt so could use in stock location. Now this project is yet to see on road testing but garage testing is going well. Amp output approx 140 - 180
Quality Power Yucaipa California
Part number 8215-180A

1 Like

stick_figure_famljhkhbily_sticker_rectangle
just a few in-process pics. thanks to the machinist “Q” for the tasteful and well executed work.
lots of in-process pics for dolly.

3 Likes

Looking back Doc. Will be 10 years next June that I brought her in the garage to repair a leaking fuel tank. Talk about drifting off task.

2 Likes

“Talk about drifting off task”
XJS’s will do that.

1 Like

My fuel tank leak must be round here somewhere. I think there’s a ground issue. :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

Love your audio installation!
Nicely done and discreet.
What did you do in front?

Through experience, I am fairly certain that your “Drifting” which I know as “Shipwrights Decease” occurs because the leg bone is connected to the hip bone, and hone is connected to the… well, you know the song.

What helps to keep me in your so called drift mode is the “While I’m Here I Might As Well” because “I Don’t Want To Revisit This Place Again”

1 Like