Prop shaft sliding joint

Trying to replace the gaiter on the slip joint. Mine does not look like the manual. There is a sleeve welded that covers the area where the splines are.

The manual and parts books show a “steel ring” that attaches the gasket to the sleeve yolk, mine uses a hose clamp. Manual has two “rubber rings” that secure the gaiter to the shaft. If they are there on my shaft they are innaccessible because of the welded sleeve.

There appears to be a steel ring inside the sleeve that seems to be held in place by slakes in the sleeve.

Anyone seen/done this before or know how to get this gaiter replaced?

John

I have not seen this type before

John,

Is this on the '67 or '69? Reason I ask is mine is a '68 and is exactly like that. I lubed the splines and put it back. Apparently, it can’t be changed?

This is a 67. What do I do with a torn rubber gaiters if it cant be removed…

John

Are any of these prop shafts discussed here for the automatic trans? If not (sorry to hijack), is there any difference between the OEM manual box trans shafts and the automatics? Thanks, Huff 69 2+2 (in process of automatic to 5 speed conversion)

Same propshaft for all models at any given time, though it varied over time.

Leather was used for gaitors on many antique cars. I have used leather where I sewed a pocket on each end and used a wire in the pocket to secure to replace rubber. Hose clamps also work.

Or safetywire as used on the front brakes bolts and other places. Advantage over a regular hose clamp is its evenly distributed, low weight .

Why not a couple heavy duty tie wraps? I say a couple so one could situate the locking heads 180 degrees apart. That’s probably not necessary, but why not.

1 Like