Proteus C type Fuel Tank Capacity

Thanks to Steve H for aiming me to this Category.

I recently purchased a Proteus C type. Original Marland built. It does not have a fuel gauge, does have a warning light that I have no idea of the trigger level. Before I try and access enough of the tank to dimension it to figure out the capacity, does anyone know how many gallons ( US or Imp) it holds ?

I’ve owned four replicas, one I built myself, and not one had a fuel gauge. Racing cars never had one. Take her out for a spin,. then drain the tank completely. Many replica tanks have a false bottom, so if you look in the tank it may look empty but have several gallons hidden. Now, back at home I drain what is left so I know the tank is empty. Then I take a piece of dowelling (round wood about 4 feet long and a couple of inches in diameter, and add five litres at a time, stopping every five litres, dipping the tank, and marking the level with how much I have added so you have 5,10,15,20 marks on the rod, which is now your fuel gauge. . In my two Lynx D-types they held about 20 gallons, in my C-type (full-on replica) the capacity was 49 US gallons, and on my Lynx XKSS I calculated about 24 gallons. Before I take the car out I always dip the tank and reset the trip meter. Then I know how far I can go before refuelling. Or carry the dipping rod with you! It’s the way we have always done it in Europe, and the only reliable way.

2 Likes

Tony, thank you for the reply. I was just curious if anyone had the capacity.

The car is in the shop for some work and I will be able to measure up fuel tank when the rear is removed.