Puddle light issue

well i checked the lights in the front doors and are ok . funny thing is with the key on the door buzzer works when either. front doors are open . i removed the bulb from socket and buzzer stops when i put back in socket the buzzer works .did this several times with same results but still no puddle lights to the front doors . very odd so i am getting some power to puddle lights in front but not enough for lights . i also changed door switch on passenger door .

where is the delay unit and blocking diode located

I canā€™t remember where the diode is physically located. I think itā€™s in the snaggle of wires at the base of the LH of the A-pillar, behind the kick panel.

An '84 wonā€™t have a delay unit as Jaguar stopped using them circa 1982. Unless, of course, someone has done retro-fit

Cheers
DD

Doug is it not odd that the buzzer if affected by the bulb being removed but still the bulb will not work . New bulbs at that . Will try the driver side tomorrow .

I was afraid youā€™d ask :slight_smile:

I suspect some sort of ground problem but Iā€™m not clear-headed enough at the moment to do the required mulling.

I know the buzzer shares a ground with the driverā€™s door switch.

Cheers
DD

The diagrams show no difference between RHD and LHD drive cars or markets, Doug.

So driverā€™s door light reaction is sort of bewildering - also adding that my puddle lights all come on whichever door is opened.

A salient point, in any case, is certainly the power feed to the respective lights - the door switches provides only ground; no power - no light. Adding the complication that the seat belt warning light is also using door switch(es?) for groundā€¦

I have somehow lost track of the present state of Jimā€™s problem - or indeed if there is power to the lams not lighting. Or indeed which lamps this is; interior lamp (operate with the interior light switch?), puddle lights and seat belt warning.

Adding that since he transferred the VdP interior something may have gone wrong with connectionsā€¦?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Jim, just for the heck of it Iā€™d isolate the buzzer switch from the circuit just to see if anything changes. If you remove the lower column shroud youā€™ll see the switch on the underside of the aluminum casting that contains the key cylinder for the ignition switch.

Cheers
DD

These things are always complicated by the fact that some circuits are wired differently depending on year and market, and no single diagram ever seems to show all the variants.

Iā€™m working off the S57 diagrams, which were decidedly North American-specific. And, as good as they are, have errors and omissions.

Cheers
DD

will try to do it today

Doug:

Excellent choice of words for the wires at the base of the A pillar. It is that ā€œsnagleā€ that prevents me from merely fishing out the black wire to connect to the functioning switch I got from Paul. Remove the card? We will see.

But, the buzzer works just fine!!!

Carl

You are a master of understatement, Dougā€¦:slight_smile:

The S57 is a must and all diagrams do give a working base for electric issues - but I have yet to find a diagram that matches my Jaguar in details.

In fact; of all surviving series cars - it would be challenge to find two cars with identical wiringā€¦:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Frank

I guess that is why one of the pages I have includes a small drawing in a cloud. Mine came to me via past lister, Bob Loftus.

Whatever itā€™s shortcomings, it has been a huge help to me. . Both on my cars specifics and auto electrics in generalā€¦ Symbols and their meanings for exampleā€¦

Carl

Doug I checked the buzzer box nothing wrong there . I took a video to show what happens when i removed the bulb . Will not let me upload it . If you have an email address I will send it to you to see or anyone else that is interested .

You can obtain therapy, for thatā€¦:grimacing:

(xj) interior lights and buzzer ā€” Think I may have found the answer .I have the same symptoms and it was fixed by checking #17 fuse . I am going to remove the fuse block and check wiring .

Various diagrams lists that - and #3 and #13, Jim, also worth while checking?

Have actually confirmed that there is no power to the relevant lampsā€¦?

Frank

Dear All
If I may contribute, in regards to the interior lights, Iā€™m certainly not an auto electrician, (quite the opposite)
Our car Septā€™1985 built Jaguar S3 Sovereign (Federal) RHD,
With the drivers door open, pillar lights illuminate, passenger rear door light (are these called puddle lights?) illuminate. No other lights on.
I have tested the ā€œglobesā€ in each door light not working and OK
I have tested for power in each door light not working NO power.
Checked fuses 3 and 17 under dash, cleaned fuses and contacts OK
From the comments above - should I now clean all the door switches to check for good earth?
Any other comment would be appreciated.
Regards
David

David,
The Sovereign trim package is not something we see very often in the USA so I am not certain what the door panels and interior lights look like in your car. Attached are pictures of the left front and left rear doors of my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas with the ā€œpuddle lightsā€ circled in blue.

You will have to provide more info about what your interior door lights are, especially if they are different from the ones shown in these pictures.

Paul

Paul
Thank you for your reply, yes the lights on our car are the same as the ones in your photo.
Fortunately yours are both illuminated.
The Sovereign in Australia had the trip computer, sun roof, pepper pot wheels, wipers to the headlights, our car has the 4.2 litre engine, not the V12.
Regards
David

Well guys I think I might have to throw in the towel. Removed the kick plates found the purple and white and purple wires. I have discovered the purple work the front puddles and the white and purple work the rear puddles and pillar lights. Disconnected the w/p wires and the front puddles come on but not pillar lights. The fronts when on were of low intensity when w/p were disconnected. Tried combining rear to front. Rears worked but fronts would not. This is for an electrical engineer. Seems like there are two separate systems and one knocks out the other. If a diode is involved I have yet to find one.