Pulling V12, 1988 XJ-S

Getting ready to pull the V12 from a 1988 XJ-S. Should I pull the motor and auto trans together? Or separate them? What’s easiest? Any words of widsom? The engine bay is literally gutted, the exhaust is removed up to the manifolds. All I believe that is left is to loosen the trans cooler lines from the transmission. Sorry about all the questions. But it’s a 12, and my shop manual is for a 6. Oh yeah, if it makes any difference, the motor appears to be frozen. I had an impact wrench on the crank nut and there was no movement.

Pull as a unit, much easier.

Agreed . Pull as a unit and use a load shifting bar so you can change the angle of the suspended load as you pull it out of the engine bay.
Don’t forget the earth strap hidden away on the power steering pump side.
Have you checked that you have enough reach with your lifter to get onto the lifting lugs with the lifter up against the bumper. It’s a long engine.
Matt

Both together.

Takes a bit of jiggling, but not so hard.
The correct angle is important.
You need the front up a bit so you can get the engine hoist well under the cross member.
That also stops the tranny hitting the deck and jamming up the effort.

If you take the steering rack off it helps give more room, but it is not essential.
The attached photos, if they load, show the pre HE V12 coming out of the '79 coupe, and the rebuilt HE going back in.
Note the angle.

It’s worth noting here that the motor and trans were fitted on the assembly line with the bonnet/ hood in place.

Madness!

Vertical drop then kick the tranny back? That seems less than the best job on the line.

None the less, I believe the bonnet shall be removed and will pull both as a unit. Much thanks to all who responded. Good info! Except maybe the leaving the bonnet in place part ;>). Had a couple brain cells spark last night. It’s a parts car. The shell is going to the crusher. Looks like the sawzall will get a work out later today! A few cuts and the lift won’t have to work so hard!
Any suggestion on how to remove the torque converter from a frozen motor? Want to salvage it and the auto trans (only 32,000 miles).
Again - thanks
Harry Price

It’s worth noting here that the motor and trans were fitted on the assembly line with the bonnet/ hood in place.

If so, it was from below. And probably with the front subframe as part of the subassembly.

– Kirbert

It was from above with fan fitted also. Pics in jaguar xjs by rivers fletcher page 94 and 95.
Engine will not fit from below. Will not clear footwell bulges.

Richard
This looks familiar. Did you have enough rear travel to get the engine in the mounts before the hydraulic cylinder impacted the bumper??
My hoist was about 100mm short when this happened and I had to support the rear of the tranny with a floor jack and release the rear two engine supports to swing the engine in and down onto the mounts. Turned a half hour job into a few hour battle…situation normal…!!!
Matt

Series III e-type in pic, but similar plan.

I suppose they could get the hood more vert on the XJS if they hadn’t yet installed the grill trim. But why? Did the engine installation crew do something to tick someone off? :wink:

Yes possibly…but note that they have two hoists at work here probably with travel in all directions which is a lot more user friendly than an engine lifting frame…still got the “short straw” though…

Not sure how different an x300 xj12 would be but i’ve been fighting to clear the steering column. I have the downpipe section still attached and the catalytic converter is interfering on the driver’s side. Removing the downpipe is almost impossible at this stage. Access to the inside bolts is impossible and even if I had a midget to take those bolts off, the downpipe is likely rust welded to the manifold and will require heat to separate.

Richard
This looks familiar. Did you have enough rear travel to get the engine in the mounts before the hydraulic cylinder impacted the bumper??

Matt

Just made it, not much to spare.

Matt:

Just messed with a Yahoo news bit. An add driven group of questions on WWII slang. I, just a tad too young to serve, but a lot of my class mates at college were vets. So, their slang permeated. One seems to apply here SNAFU.

You got the first two words correctly.

Carl

Have modified engine hoist you are welcome to use if you are any where near Fulshear, TX. Made extended wheelie bars for it so when it hit a bump the engine it doesn’t go crashing to the ground. Also have a movable lift point and an engine support bar you may use.

Don - most kind offer, but a bit too far from Wichita KS area. Have just bought a Harbor Freight 2 ton engine hoist. That and the fact I’ll be cutting away any sheet metal that gets in the way it should come out w/o much heartache. It’s a parts car, and the shell is going to the crusher, so no sense in fighting anything that a sawzall will cure!
Harry Price