[PURCHASED] Wanted: radiator for 64 Etype 3.8

I am looking for an original E-type 3.8 radiator. Perhaps you’ve replaced your radiator with a modern, more efficient one. If you still have the original and would like to sell it, I am interested.

Al Jacobson

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

I dont think originals are available (AFAIK): @Michael_Frank makes a reproduction that is pretty close.

A few years back when I still had my 69 E, I went to a radiator shop
locally, they made mine like new or better.
That’s for my 78 xj6.
Walter

Hi Al - We have an original radiator for a Ser1, 1964 3.8 E. Very good condition, never overheated, comes with fan cowl and drain tap (spigot). Asking $500 plus shipping. We have a lot of other original parts for the 3.8 also.
Bruce and Lois
Bend, ORe-Rad-1 e-Rad-3

1 Like

Do you have any photos of it? For that price, if an original Marston, would be a steal.

Thanks for the photos: indeed that is a radiator from a '64.

FYI. The original 3.8 E-Type radiator cannot be rebuilt or repaired. It’s a stacked plate design, the construction is more like an oil cooler than a radiator. This means that the “tanks” are integral with the “tubes”. Because the tanks can’t be separated, it can’t be recored or rodded out by a radiator shop. If it leaks, it can’t be soldered because of the aluminum construction, and even if welding is successful, it results in an ugly scar. If a chemical flush can’t clear it out, then the radiator is done.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that all 3.8 liter E-types were fitted with an aluminum Marston Excelsior radiator. The switch-over to a brass radiator happened in late 1964 when 4.2 liter production commenced.

A Marston is easily recognized by its aluminum fins:

Replica Marston radiators are generally available from a few sources, mostly in the U.K.

Good luck,
Alan
N.J.

The radiator in Lois’s photo is a later style brass radiator, Lopena’s photo is an original Marston stacked plate radiator. There’s always been a question of whether the brass radiators were replacements or factory original. Because the stacked plate design wasn’t intended to be repaired, a great many of them were discarded through the years and replaced with brass. So the question is difficult to answer today.

The stacked plate radiators are the ones to which I was referring earlier. I make reproductions of these in the US. But there is nothing made anywhere today that is an exact copy of the original, due to the extraordinary expense of tooling the plates and the obsolete brazing process that was used. All of the repro’s available today are made with conventional cores and machined tanks.

Hi Lois,

That’s very good news! Please email me at ajacobson12@comcast.net to arrange for payment.

Thanks,
Al Jacobson

Thanks everyone for your input. Going to take Lois up on her offer.
Regards,
Al

Hi Paul, I have one from a car I purchased a few years ago that’s in the garage attic. I’ll take a look at the condition and let you know later this evening.
Garth…

Great Al - we will get the shipping cost tomorrow, Tuesday… USPostOffice will probably be the cheapest, but if you prefer UPS, we can do that too. Where are you located? Money Order or PayPal is best for payment.
Thanks Al,
Your fellow Jag-lovers, Lois and Bruce Ross
Bend, OR

Hi Garth,

Thanks for your reply. I just located one.

Regards,
Al

No problem and all the best…