Putting my sisters 1985 xj6 back together

When I go to put the fuel injection type intake back on the head, should I use the aviation gasket sealer by permatex,or something else for no leaks. Plus I took some pictures of the intake when it was on the head,yet I am sure I can use help figuring out where things go. Like ,lets say, the two spigots, or vacuum line connections on the bottom of the intake are point A. Then where are the points B? for them. HELP Mark

I suspect the Permatex will work fine. You need to remember, though, after a couple hours of running, to come back and retorque all those intake manifold nuts.

here ya go

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/vacuum.htm

Cheers
DD

1 Like

You do have the proper gaskets, Mark - which in itself should be ample. Properly cleaned surfaces should then give the proper seal without anything further. Belts and braces are not always a good idea…:slight_smile:

Incidentally, the spigot at the bottom of the intake manifold is a drain - not intended as a vacuum connection…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi - My attempt this past summer to draw a simple diagram of vacuum connections. I ran all new hoses and brought everyone on top of the motor instead of several of them being underneath. Sorry I don’t have more pix of “exactly” where on the intake and throttle body some of them attach, but I have the car outside. As soon as it warms a bit I will try to get some photos. Regarding the couple of “nipples” under the intake, one is vacuum and I was told the other is actually a drain for the intake. Why that is needed is beyond me, but on my engine, that one is capped off. I suspect the PO thought it was a vac connection and covered it, but the cover kind of defeats the drain purpose me thinks :slight_smile:

My car is an 86 USA model.

Randy

2 Likes

The ‘why’ of the manifold drain is a good question, Randy…

…a possible explanation is that as crankcase ventilation is directed to the throttle body - to be sucked, via the manifold, to be burnt in the engine. Residual oil will condense in the manifold over time, and drained out through the vent while the engine is standing. As will residual petrol in the manifold - whether from carbs or fuel injection.

However, the vent is a ‘vacuum leak’ when uncapped, but that is easily compensated by other adjustments, like the mixture screw…

No serious issues has been brought forward with the drain capped or uncapped…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)