Question about the S2 cylinder head (1969)

David,
Interesting situation we’ll probably never know the answer to. But since both head and block have a backwards 3, I can, with all sincerity, state my car has matching numbers! :smirk:

1 Like

My 69 has a factory replacement engine. No serial # on either the block or head.
But there is a casting date on the block under the air conditioning pump mount.
left front of block. Date is sometime in 1971 if memory serves. The Brits do there dates as day/ month/ year. So be aware of that if looking for the casting date.Engine has to be out to see it. Interesting point is that my flywheel has the original engine # stamped on it.

Those three letters are unique to each engine (repeating every 17,000 units +/-), and identify the block, timing cover and bearing main caps as a machined set. You will find the same three letters stamped next to each main bearing cap with an added suffix of 1 through 7. Note the “BSD” stamp on the timing cover and the block in the attached photos.

There is currently an >>extremely<< detailed discussion as to the who/why/what all of these head stampings mean over on the XK bulletin board.

“BSD 5” stamp on block and matching main cap