Question re: Hitachi Conversion

69 Coupe

Good Day To All

I have recently started my 69 FHC after a 37 years mothball stint. Sorting several things out. I did the Hitachi conversion and payed particular attention to all the posts/suggestions, so I am quite sure I have everything wired correctly. However, when I start the car, the voltage gauge sits at just above 12V until I hit the pedal quickly to give it some rpm’s and then it jumps up to 13.8 or so and continues to charge correctly until it is shut down? Is this normal?

Mark
Murrieta, Ca.

Somewhere I have how I wired it. I have a voltmeter, not an amp gauge, and the warning lamp also actually works - when it started with the sunk float it idled slow enough to light the light.
This is the “Datsun” truck alternator - sourced from some discount outfit (rebuilt by who knows who, but it works).
I no longer have a regulator and it is a '64 Series I

1 Like

That is perfectly normal. Many alternators need 12-15000 RPM to get them “started”, then self-maintain after that.

Regards,
Ray L.

Thank You for your comments. I’m still not sure if I have the wiring correct as in your 2nd picture. My ignition light still isn’t working and my tach is still dead, even after changing the 2.5 uf capacitor that tested bad.

I just finished tightening my upper chain a little because it was audibly clear it was a little loose. I followed your suggestions Ray and all is well now. I have a few water leaks and one small oil leak (NOT FRONT OR REAR SEALS, LUCKILY) that I have to fix. Otherwise, it seems to be running well. At idle, the timing is fluttering a little (10-12 degrees) but I haven’t spent too much time with the dizzy yet. It has a 73 XJ6 stock dizzy and I have the vacuum advance plugged. I haven’t even checked the point gap after firing it up a few weeks back.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Mark

Wow! That’s pretty high rev’ing engine :wink:
Methinks there might be an extra zero there.
Cheers,
LLynn

…Carrillo rods, and some K&N filters.

:grimacing:

Alternator RPM might still be a bit high tho?

Did Ray send you a picture? Your wiring, if you have 1969 set up, will not be the same - I only sent the picture to let you know that my set up isn’t stock, so wiring likely not the same.
I DID find my rough wiring diagram for this set up, but it is, of course, from a '64 that had a generator and uses the letter codes on the generator regulator. I could post it, but it may cause more confusion than illumination.

Plus yellow paint and stickers; don’t forget the stickers.

1 Like

I know what the wiring is suppose to be. I just have to check it. All my wiring is new. I had a few issues with my gauges and discovered that my “new” dash voltage regulator (with 12V input) is putting out 5.6V on the side that goes to the two gauges that need the 10V. Little by little I am locating problems! I’m not in a big hurry. I spend about 4-5 hours a day in the garage. It’s been real hot in Ca. for a few months and the heat get to me after a while!

Again, I appreciate everyone’s help!

Mark