Question-transmission

I am on a number of other forums here and I’d like to get some information about a MKI transmission.
What type manual transmission (manufacturer) was used ? Were all gears synchronized ? I am sourcing a four speed with Laycock OD.

Expect it would be the Moss box. First gear non synchro and “straight cut” with characteristic whine. E types had Moss boxes from '61 to '64. Mark 2 cars and other Jags had the same box until the all synchro box came onto the scene from '64. Laycock overdrives were fitted to all cars as an option except the E type. Paul.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/gearbox_reilly/moss_gearbox_identification.html

If anyone is interested there is a MKI 3.4L four speed manual with OD and 60,000 available near me.

Where are you and how much do they want?

Gerard
Loveland, Colorado USA

I encourage all posters to update your information, location, national flag, etc. I believe this is the method, Go to your icon at the top right corner of screen, click your name, click preferences, add your details, pick a national flag and at bottom of screen click save changes.

I’m just outside Pittsburgh. $ 900.00 plus S & H.

Oh, you’re just referring to the transmission! My read of your initial post was there was a car for sale.
Gerard
Loveland, Colorado, USA

As mentioned , Mk1s use the Moss"box, variants of which were used up until 1964ish. The internals varied between models, MKs7,8,9, XKs etc. The one used in the Mk 1 is basically similar to that in the pre-65 Mk2, but they use a different top cover; the gearlever is further aft in the Mk2, so if you score one of them you will need to modify the transmission tunnel in the Mk1. Rear mount will be different too, but nothing that can’t be overcome. If you car is an auto, the transmission tunnel is a lot bigger, you will need clutch pedal assy, appropriate propshaft and if fitting an overdrive box will need to wire up the electrics for the solenoid. Also different starter motor, clutch, flywheel. Don’t forget the spigot bush in the end of the crankshaft ( often overlooked)